starting some dwarf puffers! but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kagentx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm planning to get rid of my large fish in my 50 gallon tank of angel, clown loach due to my shrimp loses to them. I want to gather alot of small fish for this tank. I've heard that puffers are agressive fish but are small. I'm wondering if they can live with ballon mollies, guppies, and maybe SAE or tetras?

I'd say no. There's a chance you could get a real mild one.. but more likely it would become aggressive long after you could have returned it. These really aren't community fish. I keep mine with some Zebra Danios, but at the start, they got their fins nipped. After moving them to a larger aquarium and keeping it heavily planted, it stopped. I still keep an eye out, waiting for it to start again, and I tend to think my DP is pretty mild.

I have kept a lot of dwarf puffers and I will keep them again, but they are not community fish, IMO, and I will always keep them in species tanks. They can live with each other, and with tiger barbs, but otherwise there will be some grief in the end. They are aggressive carnivores and don't let their size fool you! I have seen some incredible carnage that I don't wish to repeat. 8O

I keep a dwarf puffer with guppies, at first he would chew the tails off of them but he eventually got tired of chasing them around and now all I can get him to eat is bloodworms and brine shrimp. You'll lose some guppies to him at first but if you keep him reasonably well fed with food he likes he'll stop chasing the guppies and just wait to be fed.

I definitely would put them in their own tank. They might be small, but can cause a lot of damage and kill your fish.

Just because they can't fit the other fish in their mouth, doesn't mean they won't find other ways to eat them. They litterally will take tiny bites off your other fish until they kill them.

Not to mention the stress it will add. If you really want some, just set up a ten gallon. Tiny small. No big deal. :]

heh those puffers sure get people to get them for fun..
thanks for the suggestions. I don't think the puffers would attack the SAE which are like 3 inches long.

Here's a crazy thought:
if i get enough guppies, they would reproduce and satisfy the puffers enough for it not to attack others.

These puffers will add a lot of unique character to my tank... i'm just trying everyway i can find to have them :lol:

maybe a puffer only 50 gallon tank??

btw my is a planted tank

If you already decided that you want them bad enough to put them in anyway, why did you ask our opinions? :?

Kim

Here's a crazy thought:
if i get enough guppies, they would reproduce and satisfy the puffers enough for it not to attack others

Your guppies wouldn't survive long enough to give you fry. :?

kagentx said:
Here's a crazy thought:
if i get enough guppies, they would reproduce and satisfy the puffers enough for it not to attack others.

That is a crazy thought. Also a very disturbing one. :(

If you still want to do puffers in the 50, i would do SAPs, they are so cool. If i had and empty 50 i would get a few of those. The only downside is that you have to trim their teeth.

bleh... sorri about my crazy thoughts

don't want to get something that'd terrorize my fish
it was just a fantasy...

well let me post up my new list of fish i'm planning to order from www.aquariumstuffers.com

Back
Top Bottom