Starting the cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric416

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a new 55 gallon tank and read the cycling for dummies thread which was quite helpful. I went to the local pet store to buy my test kit and they recommended a product called Nutrafin Cycle. Has anyone had any experience with this? Its supposed to speed up the cycling period. I am debating trying this or using straight up ammonia to start the cycle but would like some input before i do anything. As of now all I added to the water was the tap water conditioner and turned my heater all the way up.

the cycling helpers dont always help... some people love them, some people debate the fact that the bacteria cant live in the bottle because there is no oxygen to keep it alive. imo, if you have $5 extra, why not try it and see? its not a sure fire thing. also, you still have to use ammonia, regardless of whether you use the cycle starter or not. now why did you turn your heater all the way up?

i read that raising the temp helps to speed up the cycle

+1 for mfdrookie's comment. You need a source of ammonia either way. I can tell you I used a product called Seachem stability with some success. But I have also cycled several tanks with none of these products before.

As far as the heat, there is some truth that it should help speed up the cycle. Just make sure before adding any fish that you turn it back down to the optimal range and that the temp is steady.

ok, just be careful of turning it all the way up... i had one that busted because i accidentally had it all the way up... 85-87 degrees is a good temp to cycle on btw... i had never actually read through the cycling article i have in my signature until just now lol

ok, just be careful of turning it all the way up... i had one that busted because i accidentally had it all the way up... 85-87 degrees is a good temp to cycle on btw... i had never actually read through the cycling article i have in my signature until just now lol

Haha thats where i got the info from. Thanks for the advice. I think ill give that product a try and add ammonia as well.

I tried Nutrafin Cycle a few weeks ago. Used 2 bottles exactly 1 week apart and it hasn't had any effect on my cycle. My cycle is almost done now, hopefully, but I don't believe that Nutrafin had any effect on it considering how long my cycle is taking.

Haha thats where i got the info from. Thanks for the advice. I think ill give that product a try and add ammonia as well.
if you dose straight ammonia, make sure it has no surfactants (cleaners) in it... ace hardware is about the only place people on here can find it... i just always keep an extra filter on each tank for this reason. If you cant do the ammonia, get a raw cocktail shrimp and put one for every 30 gallons... if you cant do that, just dose with fish food, only problem is fish food takes a little longer and neither of the latter two are as easily adjustable as the straight ammonia. shoot for 4ppm ammonia, then watch as the cycle progresses

And fish food makes a HUGE mess that is really a pain to clean up lol. I used BioZyme in one of my tanks and it was done cycling in a week and still going strong with fishies in it!
Good luck!
HAHAHA@ Rookie!

if you dose straight ammonia, make sure it has no surfactants (cleaners) in it... ace hardware is about the only place people on here can find it... i just always keep an extra filter on each tank for this reason. If you cant do the ammonia, get a raw cocktail shrimp and put one for every 30 gallons... if you cant do that, just dose with fish food, only problem is fish food takes a little longer and neither of the latter two are as easily adjustable as the straight ammonia. shoot for 4ppm ammonia, then watch as the cycle progresses

hmmm, thanks for the heads up, i read it just in time. i went and bought clear ammonia today but i see on the lable that it has surfactants in it. Looks like ill be making a trip to Ace.

yep, if you'd used that, might as well have put dawn or pinesol in it (kinda similar i guess)... anyways, glad you caught it before you did. a good rule of thumb is if you shake the bottle real good, pure ammonia doesnt bubble up like it does with surfactants in it, so as long as it says pure ammonia and doesnt bubble, you should be fine... and just rememeber, dont pour a whole bottle in... aim for 4ppm and you will be just fine :)

i have a 55 gallon tank, about how much ammonia would you suggest i add?

i honestly cant remember how much i used.. i guess an easy estimate is to get a gallon jug and see how many drops it takes to get the ammonia in there to 4ppm, then take what it takes, multiply by 55, put half in the tank, test it and go from there... btw be best to wait 30 mins to an hour before testing

I added 3.5 teaspoons. I also added my 2nd day dose of "cycle". I will test the water tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Hmm, the bottles of Nutrafin Cycle I tried had no smell at all. I wonder if that had anything to do with it not doing anything for my tank.

Back
Top Bottom