Starting up a 9 gal nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Draco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Decided I needed to get back into this hobby after 5 years of not having 10 gal SW tank. I miss them so much! Especially the playful shrimps and my clown!

I'd like advice and and have questions.. sorry if this post becomes lengthy!

Anyways..

Here's what I've done so far:
-Eheim Aquastyle 9 Gal Aquarium (pictured below)
-8 lbs of LR (I figure when I get coral in the future, it'd add on to the LR)
-10lb bag of live sand (About an inch from the bottom) (it's not too fine and not crushed corals.. not sure of the grade)
-Live Water

I added water first.. then the sand, then the rocks. I can't see where I've placed the rocks since the water's cloudy, but I can fix that later on.

Got the filter going..Anything in particular I need for the filter? I have FW on the brain! Currently it has foam pad and substratpro.

Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) lighting fixture that would work with this for soft corals? The light it came with is: 7W PowerLED (photo below with the tank). I don't think it's strong enough for corals.

I need to dig up my heater.. not sure if its strong enough for the tank.. but I also need to get a new power strip before I can plug in the heater.

My plans:
-Soft colorful corals (I have time to research the type. suggestions??)
-Inverts mainly.. Peppermint Shrimps(or other kinds), crabs and snails..
-perhaps a goby.. not sure if 9gal is big enough for a goby or a clownfish? Please advise!

I still need to get: (either I forgot, or no rush to buy)
-water flow (not sure if filter is strong enough of a flow.. I want to wait and see)
-Water Tests
-Hydrometer

am I forgetting anything??

Now the web photo of the tank. I wish I had taken photos of the step by step process, but I forgot! Note- this is a website image, not my actual tank :fish1:

Eheim-Aquastyle-9-Gallon-Aquarium-w-2-Free-Eheim-Replacement-Filter-Pads-99_1.jpg

Those tanks are nice, Theres a lfs in my area with one as a nano reef and they use an aqua illumination sol nano light on it which is usually $299 or something
It has quite a kick but you can adjust the intensity of the light if needed.. Probably one of the better ones i bought one a few months back and im very happy with it. As as for fish a clown may be ok but they can be a bit territorial, u have been warned lol
And make sure its small some can be kinda big. And theres a huge array of gobys out there maybe a small firefish goby or something might work well, its a good beginner fish!

Post pics of you tank when it clears up i would love to see it!

image-2099112820.jpg

This is the 9g ehiem at my lfs
Photo and aquascape not by me but thought ide share

Thanks for the reply! That is a really nice set up! I got several nice bridge type of rocks. I want it to be airy and not stacked up

Edited to add a few pics. The water's still a bit cloudy, especially since I did some rearranging this morning. I like the open-ness of the rocks. It doesn't need to be completely filled in, right? Especially if I add a goby and shrimps, I want hiding places. Suggestions?

Front view:
1240128_10202158643836072_1473395374_n.jpg

Left side view:
1229937_10202158644316084_2132976292_n.jpg

Right side view:
994626_10202158644036077_1873036109_n.jpg

Angled front view, my view point:
1238018_10202158643876073_137847543_n.jpg

Front view looks good!
Probably better than i would have done hahah

I woukd fill it a little more as
Long as it has a lid
Although if your keeping corals removing the lid will get the most out of the lighting..
Most fixtures work better if shining directly on the water, even if the lid is crystal clear

Hi all,

Decided I needed to get back into this hobby after 5 years of not having 10 gal SW tank. I miss them so much! Especially the playful shrimps and my clown!

I'd like advice and and have questions.. sorry if this post becomes lengthy!

Anyways..

Here's what I've done so far:
-Eheim Aquastyle 9 Gal Aquarium (pictured below)
-8 lbs of LR (I figure when I get coral in the future, it'd add on to the LR)
-10lb bag of live sand (About an inch from the bottom) (it's not too fine and not crushed corals.. not sure of the grade)
-Live Water

I added water first.. then the sand, then the rocks. I can't see where I've placed the rocks since the water's cloudy, but I can fix that later on.

Got the filter going..Anything in particular I need for the filter? I have FW on the brain! Currently it has foam pad and substratpro.

Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) lighting fixture that would work with this for soft corals? The light it came with is: 7W PowerLED (photo below with the tank). I don't think it's strong enough for corals.

I need to dig up my heater.. not sure if its strong enough for the tank.. but I also need to get a new power strip before I can plug in the heater.

My plans:
-Soft colorful corals (I have time to research the type. suggestions??)
-Inverts mainly.. Peppermint Shrimps(or other kinds), crabs and snails..
-perhaps a goby.. not sure if 9gal is big enough for a goby or a clownfish? Please advise!

I still need to get: (either I forgot, or no rush to buy)
-water flow (not sure if filter is strong enough of a flow.. I want to wait and see)
-Water Tests
-Hydrometer

am I forgetting anything??

Now the web photo of the tank. I wish I had taken photos of the step by step process, but I forgot! Note- this is a website image, not my actual tank :fish1:

Most gobies are will jump out of a rimless, they need a lid looks great by the way! You could get a pair of clowns and if you are willing to put a lid on fire gobys are really hardy and fun to watch. For inverts maybe 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 emerald crab, and a skunk cleaner shrimp.
As you noted already that lighting is to low. But good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom