Staurogyne repens replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marvin4o9

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello guys, I currently have some staurogyne repens in my tank but with my pleco the plants seem to break when he swims on them, well I was wondering which foreground plant would yall recommend for a low tech no co2 booster tank? Maybe one that the fish could swim through without having leaves break off or the stems break off?

It broke off :x lol

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425485164.353331.jpg

Also does anyone know the name of this plant? My mom gave it to me from one of her indoor plants to test out to see if it would grow, and well it's doing pretty well as you can see the roots and new plant growth. Would yall recommend adding the black aquarium sand to help the plants stay in place or would that make me loss the benefit of my substrate?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425485308.031230.jpg

Check out my introduction to view my tank!

Hmmmmmm?

Dwarf sag may be more durable. It has blade- like leaves. I believe this is a low light plant, so if your tank is low tech it should do well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Dwarf sag may be more durable. It has blade- like leaves. I believe this is a low light plant, so if your tank is low tech it should do well.

Hmmmmmmm do you know if this a carpeting plant? Or know of any that are low tech

Yes you can carpet with it. If it grows too tall, you can just trim it. I don't know of any other low tech carpet plants , but maybe someone else will have some ideas.

Does anyone know what this is? Is if it's good or bad for the substrate and tank?

Black/brownish spots under the substrate

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425512425.733100.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425512460.501769.jpg

And this is how the substrate usually is, well only one side has the brownish/black spots, the rest of the tanks substrate is this color

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425512485.019556.jpg

Yes you can carpet with it. If it grows too tall, you can just trim it. I don't know of any other low tech carpet plants , but maybe someone else will have some ideas.

Alright gotta keep an eye out for those in petco/petsmart. Thanks a lot ^_^ cause I can carpet with the S.Repens but I think my substrate maybe to rough to get runners? Which is why I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put dark aquarium sand on top, without losing the benefits of turning the fish waste into plant food.

Sand could help, it will probably hold the plants in place better. In one Of my tanks I have gravel covered by about 1.5 inches of sand. All my plant seem to like it .

Sand could help, it will probably hold the plants in place better. In one Of my tanks I have gravel covered by about 1.5 inches of sand. All my plant seem to like it .

Yeah that's what I need but since my swordtails poop a lot this substrate helps remove it, will adding sand take that away?

If you have sand, the poop usually sits on top, making it easier to vacuum up. If you leave it alone it will eventually become fertilizer for your plants. It all depends on whether or not you mind seeing it in your tank. :)

If you have sand, the poop usually sits on top, making it easier to vacuum up. If you leave it alone it will eventually become fertilizer for your plants. It all depends on whether or not you mind seeing it in your tank. :)

U been a lot of help my friend! Yeah I haven't put sand on top cause before I got this substrate the waste would just pile on top lol but now I think I might put sand prob next week if my swordtail doesn't drop her babies soon

No problem! That's why we're all here! Enjoy those babies!

Well if you know anything about swords can you check my post and tell me if she's about to give birth? Lol I have no idea, she doesn't have many eggs in there since it's her first time

If you add sand it will fall through to the bottom, what do you have for lighting? Stars look starved of photosynthetic activity. That plant in the back looks like something I'd spend too much money on for my gf ' s nightstand. It will probably rot..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you add sand it will fall through to the bottom, what do you have for lighting? Stars look starved of photosynthetic activity. That plant in the back looks like something I'd spend too much money on for my gf ' s nightstand. It will probably rot..

Actually the indoor one is about to spread a new leaf :p but some of the repens do have discolored leaves, and for lightning I got a 36 inch hood that I custom fit two 36 inch t8 bulbs, one floramax and one colormax, the plants have been growing quiet a bit since I replaced the 24 inch floramax I previously had in there

What size tank? That's going to be low light on most tanks. The majority of carpeting plants will require med. Light to take off. Ferts and a good carbon source will help too. A terrestrial plant may enjoy being fully submersed.for a short.while but will ultimately succumb to the moisture. Evolution took care of all that when camels ruled the world.

What size tank? That's going to be low light on most tanks. The majority of carpeting plants will require med. Light to take off. Ferts and a good carbon source will help too. A terrestrial plant may enjoy being fully submersed.for a short.while but will ultimately succumb to the moisture. Evolution took care of all that when camels ruled the world.

It's a 38 gallon tank, I have a picture here

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425520578.267123.jpg

And so far I think I've had that plant in there for I think more than a month now, and at first it was growing slowly but after I switched to two bulbs it's grown fast and has spread a new root

Here are my two bulbs

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425521218.695153.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425521256.764563.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425521271.515163.jpg

And here is my old one

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425521296.050624.jpg

And here are some of the repens

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425521345.321022.jpg

Here is the new leaf it's spreading along with a new root

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425521385.724693.jpg

Let me know if my setup is good for medium to low light plants please :)

Back
Top Bottom