Stem rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some stems of what was sold to me as hornwort, then IDed here as Limnophila indica, but I'm not even sure it's that. Whatever it is, it's growing like wildfire, but keeps getting what I can only describe as stem rot. A black patch appears on the stem at a random point, and sort of eats away at the stem, up and down either side of the point. Eventually the part above the rot breaks free. It's only happening to this plant, but has happened to 3 or 4 different stems. What's going on? The only inhabitants are a group of danios and 2 bristlenose catfish. I've never seen any of the fish go for the plant, so I can't imagine they're damaging it.

Attachments

• p1030337_189.jpg
    p1030337_189.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 42
  • p1030345_242.jpg
    p1030345_242.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 45
I had that happen to my Rotala. I think it was too crowded together and the stems that got black like this didn't have enough light. I cut the stem away that was blackened, if the top didn't fall off on its own, and replanted the tops. They didn't grow for the first week or so, but then they were fine.

If it is still fairly new, less than amonth in the tank, give it a chance to acclimate. Remove the lower dead stems and the ones that look ratty. Replant and keep doing so until you get a good growth pattern or they plant just doesn't seem to acclimate. It could easily be crowded and if it can't compete well with other plants, your lower stems might always do this. My ambulia and sunset hygro did this all the time regardless of their growth and I finally gave up on them after a couple months.

the stems at the bottoms of these plants are ratty and in emersed form, because that's how i bought it, but i was trying to wait until it had a decent amount of submersed growth before cutting the bottom half off and replanting. i will try that this weekend if you think that'll help. thanks.

IMHO, remove the dead part once you have any signs of arial roots on the upper parts. Even if you don't get signs of roots, it will help the plant by getting rig of the older stuff so it can dedicate energy to growth instead of trying to repair the old dead stuff. I am in the same challenge with some ratty foxtail and still transitioning Ammannia Senegalensis. I have been patient and it is paying off with some good growth from the foxtail and finally some aerial roots from ammannia. Will get a picture to show you if I can get a descent one.

Have patience and they will come around.

FWIW, that plant looks exactly like the red and yellow MYRIOPHYLLUM I have... And it does look like its not getting enough light...

yeah, the ID was never sure. i wasn't convinced it was ambulia. i have also come to the conclusion it wasn't getting enough light. it has since degraded to the point of no return and i have chucked it. it's bizarre and somewhat disapppointing, because it was growing SO well for a few weeks. oh well.

Back
Top Bottom