Stepping up from 15g to 45g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonSoaring

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello

Great forums found most all the info I needed

Can I put the entire contents of my 15g tank into the 45g tank then top it off and be done. I would add more fish slowly not to overwhelm the bio filter.

Or do I have to run both tanks while 45g cycles .

Thank

Chris k

What type of filter do you have and what is the stock? As long as there is enough good bacteria in your filters it will be fine. Are you purchasing a new filter as well?

You can put everything from the 15 to the new tank. If the filter on the 15 can handle the new tank that's fine. If not you will need to either run the old filter with the new for a few weeks at least or move all the media from the old to the new filter. You need to preserve as much bacteria as possible during the move.

I have two 150 watt heaters, tetra whisper 60 air pump, aqua clear 300/70 hob filter. I plan on running the hob filter on the 15g at the same time for a while.

Humm now what to do with the 15g tank.......

Thanx for the quick replies. After I test the reseal I will have a bigger tank.

How long are you going to leave it set up for with water in it? The longer the better. I fund a tank will break again Close to a weak from filling it up.
Edit was suppose to be close to a week

My 45g tank was used and sat in a garage for about a year. I cleaned all the old silicon and did a complete replace of the silicon. I didn't break it into 5 seperte panes.

I was thinking of letting it sit for 3 to 4 days befor I set it up

I didn't break mine either it just started leaking. It needs to sit for the time to make sure the silicone can gold the pressure.

So basically I was getting ready for work and noticed water coming through the floor. I went upstairs and saw water coming out of the bottom trim. My dad took all the old silicone, resealed it, let it cure for 2 days then filled it up and let it sit for 15 20minutes. It didn't leak so he thought it was good. Filled it up and about a week later it was leaking again.
So I tried it and normally people say you need to clean it with an alcoholic base substance in order to remove the film let from the old silicone. However I didn't do it. Instead I would go back each day and scrape what ever film was left on it. Then washed it down with a damp cloth. After that I dried the heck out of it and sealed it. I let it cure for 7 days then filled it up and it has held water for 13 days now. I just emptied it today and am testing a 20high right now.
I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I just don't want you to fill it up and have it leak a week later...

Great info, I will let I cure for a week then fill it and let it sit for a week next to the drain in the basement.
I spent a lot of time scraping and cleaning with denatured alcohol till the glass was clean to sight and touch. Took longer than I thought.

Ya I no what you mean. I got so mad at my tank seeing all the film everyday. I wish I had a drain though for testing. I just wait for the water to be on the floor and get the shopvac lol. Things work wonders. But fixing a tank was the most time consuming thing I have had to so with a tank so far I'd say. It's worth it though!
Anyways it sounds like you know what your doing. I just didn't want you to have water all over one night. I thought it was raining at first... But it doesn't rain inside lol.
Good luck with the tank.

Thanx I will need the luck
I couldn't have gotten this far with out great members here.

I'll post some pics soon

Back
Top Bottom