Stirring sand bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Virgilcsa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a 30 gallon reef, with around 1 1/2 to 2 inch caribsea course live sand.. Do y'all recommend stirring it weekly?

Hey guys, I have a 30 gallon reef, with around 1 1/2 to 2 inch caribsea course live sand.. Do y'all recommend stirring it weekly?

No, I'd leave it alone. Stirring it up can cause issues. You snails depending on what kind and any sand sifting inverts or star fish also gobys that dig will take care of it. If not just leave it be IMO.

begginersluck said:
Dont touch the sand. Never touch the sand!

Dont stir it up too much, but you can touch the sand if your tank is established and the perameters are steady IMO. I have alot of buried rocks in my tank and i mess with them alot which usually kicks up alot of sand.. Never had a problem. Now with that said i wouldnt suggest people do too much rescaping with their tanks because it can kick up tons of sand

Yeah I probably over did my statement but basically you sand can hold many different types of nutrients and once disturbed you can potentially cause a nitrate spike. Rarely happens but something to watch out for.

I've had this tank up for about a year, but I've been running a bare bottom.. I recently added a sand bed ( Hawaiian black live sand, caribsea) I'm afraid of detritus building up in the sand bed and causing me trouble

Yeah I probably over did my statement but basically you sand can hold many different types of nutrients and once disturbed you can potentially cause a nitrate spike. Rarely happens but something to watch out for.
Not true. It happens on a regular basis. More times than not.

I've never heard of it happening to anyone I know but I've certainly heard of it if that makes sense lol.

I've also heard it can trigger an ammonia spike is that true?

Back
Top Bottom