stock help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbk.o4

Aquarium Advice Freak
so in a bit im going to start addin fish to my tank, going to go slowly, not add them all at once.

overall i want about 10 or so barbs (5 belted, 5 black ruby), a gourami or two(was leaning toward a blue, but now im leaning toward a dwarf), a few yoyo loaches (which is extremely hard to find around here, some guidance would be nice), and then an angelfish or betta for a big centerpiece fish

i think all that comes in under the 55" rule of thumb.

see any potential problem with that or is that a good to go?

prolly add the gourami and either the belted or black ruby barbs first all at once. so the gourami can get space but not take over the whole tank.

I don't think the barbs and the betta will get along too well....barbs are nippy. Otherwise it sounds fine, you might want a pleco and a group of cories to keep things cleaned up....plus they're fun to watch.

For the loaches, check out Aquabid.com. I got 2 zebra loaches there and they arrived and acclimated just fine. Yoyo's are nice fish.

wont the yoyo's keep thing clean? i really dont like plecos. maybe some panda cories or something. also ive read many places that keeping barbs in a school almost makes fin nippin on other inhabitants non existant, cuz they nip and play with each other instead.

I don't really like plecos neither. But Otocinclus are really sweet and Panda Corys are too. Maybe you like one of them.

IMO a 10gal is really too small for an angelfish!

I would get 5 barbs or tetras, 1 gourami, and 5 corys or Otos and you will be fully stocked! Remember you only have 10gal to work with! 1" of fish per 1 gallon of water!

If you want more fishes you will have to buy a bigger aquarium.

I'm not sure if a gourami/betta and angel would tolerate each other.
Anyone have experience with those together?

No comments on the betta / gourami combo

But for bottom dwellers I LOVE PANDA CORIES ! they're a hoot !

first im a he, second it is a 55g, idk where the 10 keeps coming from, i like ottos so i may think about those

also are ALL gouramis very aggressive? i thought it was just blue gouramis that were?

very sorry . hard to tell about what you were with the name and picture. just took a guess.
i usually just call everything a he but with the cute kitty picture i thought i would guess a girl.
SoRRY SORRY SORRY.
i have two red dwarfs and two blue dwarfs.
They arent to aggresive. they chase each other in circles. its cool to watch as they arent actually hurting each other . More likely they are playing with each other. They are all laying eggs even tho there are no females which could account for the chasing.
i like the blue ones they almost look purple and when they are chasing each other around in circles it look so awsome.
good luck.

cbk.o4 said:
first im a he, second it is a 55g, idk where the 10 keeps coming from, i like ottos so i may think about those

also are ALL gouramis very aggressive? i thought it was just blue gouramis that were?
They're not really aggressive, mainly just territorial with other gouramis.
Some species are moreso than others.
Snakeskin gouramis get fairly large but are one of the more peaceful ones. With pearl's, it's mostly just some males are territorial. With blue's (includes gold, opaline, etc.), many of the males are and some females are. Moonlight's seem pretty peaceful.
Some dwarf gourami males are territorial. The females that I've seen were very peaceful.

u can keep a gourami and a n angel together they will be ok ina tank that big. i kept a gourami and angel in a 30...i shouldn't have ..but they did fine together

My experience with Gourami's has been spotty. They can be nasty and short lived (stress). Of course I have a much smaller tank, so your experience could be much different. You've got room for different fish to have comfortable territories. However, I've got to recommend German Blue Rams. They are badass looking and fun fish. I saw a bunch at my LFS tonight and it killed me to not be able to bring any home due to the size of my tank.

IME Panda Cories are pretty cool (have 3 and just lost 3 others due to bacterial infections), but they are very sensitive to the cleanliness of the bottom. I've been vacuuming once a week and I'm not even sure if that is enough, hence the 3 recent, and sudden, deaths.

Too bad you don't like Plecos. I just bought a Clown Pleco (4-5" mature) and he/she COMPLETELY cleaned my tank from an abundance of brown and green algae and is a pretty cool fish I've gotta say. It's really amazing how clean my tank is now in about 1 week. I cannot emphasize enough. Amazing!

Otocinclus are OK, but you need a school to make any dent in the cleanliness of the tank. I purchsed the Pleco instead of buying more Oto's than my 1.

i forgot about GBR. i really like the look of those, may go with those instead of gouramis.

my light should get here tomorrow.

in a few minutes im heading to lowes to get the stuff to make caves for my tank (some slate and ge silicone)

hopefully i can get some plants soon...

so i ended up gettin a frog the other night at my walmart cuz it looked lonely in the lil cup they keep them in just sittin there in the dirty water. so right now it has a 55g tank all to itself.

today i think im going to go and get a few barbs to add to the tank. probably belted and im going to get about 6. i was going to try and get teh ruby barbs too but i dont really want that much bioload all at once, so ill just wait a week after gettin these, and hope they all make it through.

barbs arent jumpers are they? cuz i dont have tank covers, the frog kinda had me worried but it is sooo tiny it cant breach the surface, and even when it gets to the top of the water there is another 1+ inch of space before the tank lip. and the frog is only 2" max fully extended, i would say smaller than that really.

idk ill post some pics later tonight of the new tank inhabitants and how everything is going in my 55g thread. have some test results then too.

Back
Top Bottom