Stock my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 60 gallon that I will be setting up after summer. It is going to be a planted FW tank. I am having trouble coming up with a combination of fish for it. This is my latest thought:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431227154.812383.jpg
The crayfish are tiny (1") and non-aggressive.
My husband wants me to ditch all the "fake" fish and put a couple of pumpkinseed sunfish in it instead.
Ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Those are totally incompatible stocking desires, so I guess first you have to decide which of you gets their way.

Those are totally incompatible stocking desires, so I guess first you have to decide which of you gets their way.

It's my tank. It will be what I decide, although I did consider his suggestion. My stock list needs work, so I guess I'm looking for ideas. It could be something that isn't even on my list. Other fish I have considered are cherry barbs, pipefish, gouramis, neon tetras. I need ideas for pretty fish that don't get huge, since I want a community tank, rather than a tank with just one or two giant fish.

You definitely can't do those crayfish with kuhli loaches. I speak from experience. I had 3 of those little 3/4" guys in my 10 gallon, ripped my cory's to shreds! Get a school of 10 Kuhlis, a pair of GBR and a couple schools of cool fish, like neon tetras and harlequin rasboras. Even then you'd be understocked, so you could up the schools. The pumpkinseed idea is pretty cool though.

You definitely can't do those crayfish with kuhli loaches. I speak from experience. I had 3 of those little 3/4" guys in my 10 gallon, ripped my cory's to shreds! Get a school of 10 Kuhlis, a pair of GBR and a couple schools of cool fish, like neon tetras and harlequin rasboras. Even then you'd be understocked, so you could up the schools. The pumpkinseed idea is pretty cool though.

Thanks for the heads up! You think they will attack the loaches? I may scratch the loaches and do something else that isn't a bottom feeder. I really do want the crayfish for a cleaning crew. Or maybe I could do colorful shrimp instead of the crayfish. Would the angels eat them, though?

If you want a colourful community tank I think you should do:

10 neon dwarf rainbowfish
1 angelfish
15 cardinal tetras
10 dwarf crayfish

If you want a colourful community tank I think you should do:

10 neon dwarf rainbowfish

1 angelfish

15 cardinal tetras

10 dwarf crayfish

Thanks! Those cardinal tetras are gorgeous. I think I will add them to my list. Should I just do 1 angel, then? Would it be ok to introduce a second angel at a later time if I change my mind or would they fight?

Thanks! Those cardinal tetras are gorgeous. I think I will add them to my list. Should I just do 1 angel, then? Would it be ok to introduce a second angel at a later time if I change my mind or would they fight?

It's not that the angels would fight with eachother. Angels will pair up and wreck havock in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom