Stocking 26 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoran47

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I'm a new face here. I am a new and excited aquarist and have recently began restocking my 26 gallon tank after I had to break it down from a bad algae bloom that wouldn't allow for less-hardy fish to survive in it.

The tank itself is the Aquaneon 26g Bowfront tank (it came from a deluxe starting pack at Petsmart) Its dimensions are 24"Lx15"Wx21"H, so it is clearly better suited for slower fish that will stack on various levels. (I learned this the hard way by adding Zebra Danios which would zip across the tank. While they were fun, I had to remove them for the sake of future stocking). The filter came with the pack, and is Quiet Flow 20 power filter. I can keep up with water changes and gravel filters on a weekly basis.

The tank has regular gravel on the bottom, and is well filled with fake plants. It also has four caves. One very large one (near few plants), one medium sized one (near most of the plants), and two small ones (a stack of barrels and then a small sunken ship). I balanced the tank so that the larger cave isn't "better" than the smaller one because the smaller one has more plant cover.

Currently I have 6 Glolight tetras (Hemigrammus erythrozonus), which cycled the tank (with the removed Danios) and are a well established school. I have recently added 3 Albino Corys (corydoras aeneus), and 2 male Fire-red Dwarf Gouramis (Colisa lalia).

I don't believe this tank is overstocked yet(though I could easily be wrong), and I was wondering for any suggestions as to what I should/could add to the tank. I would like some fish that are either larger and colorful or are small schoolers with lots of color, but wont nip at any of my other fish-- namely the corys and the gouramies. I was also wondering if another tank cleaner was necessary, such as a bristlenose pleco or a school of Otos (though I struggle to keep Otos alive for long).

For larger tankmates I was thinking either platies or rainbow fish. For smaller ones I was thinking about rasboras or a similar species. I was also considering a single rainbow. While I know they are not recommended for beginners, I find them extremely attractive fish and would love to have one within my tank. However, it is not a requirement. What I am mainly looking is for fish to fill the levels of my tank. The middle seems to be crowded while the top is rather empty. I am open to any suggestions for fish, though price is an object here, and would like them below the $7 mark. Thank you for any advice you have to give and I look forward to hearing suggestions.

Hi and :welcome: to AA!

You are not currently overstocked. For other fish to add, I would add a few more corys to get a larger shoal, and a decent sized school (6-8) of other fish. You could add some smaller rainbows such as threadfin rainbows or furcata rainbows. Other rainbows IMO get either active or too large for your current setup.

Thank you for the welcome and the advice!

I have heard multiple times of adding to my cory school, is there any risk that this may cause some of the to starve? As there may not be enough scraps on the bottom to feed the hungry scavangers. I was thinking either hatchet fish, rasboras, or platies to add to the tank to give an extra pop of colour. If I were to add the three corys, what would be my limit on the other fish? And if I were to leave my current shoal at three (which they seem very comfortable at), what would my limit be?

My goal was to add two more schools of fish, a smaller one (probably the rasboras) and then a larger one (preferably ones that can live in a group of 2 or 3 so as to allow for the smaller group). If this is impossible I understand and would love some advice. And please don't feel limited to the fish I mentioned in the OP, I am open to all kinds! All I ask is that they pack a decent amount of colour and/or shine. Thanks :D

I'd do furcata or threadfin rainbowfish for the top level -- they are very pretty. For a centerpiece a single German blue or Bolivian ram would work.

I'd also be careful with the two dwarf gouramis. Chances are as they approach sexual maturity they'll begin to fight and one may kill the other.

Thank you for the welcome and the advice!

I have heard multiple times of adding to my cory school, is there any risk that this may cause some of the to starve? As there may not be enough scraps on the bottom to feed the hungry scavangers. I was thinking either hatchet fish, rasboras, or platies to add to the tank to give an extra pop of colour. If I were to add the three corys, what would be my limit on the other fish? And if I were to leave my current shoal at three (which they seem very comfortable at), what would my limit be?

My goal was to add two more schools of fish, a smaller one (probably the rasboras) and then a larger one (preferably ones that can live in a group of 2 or 3 so as to allow for the smaller group). If this is impossible I understand and would love some advice. And please don't feel limited to the fish I mentioned in the OP, I am open to all kinds! All I ask is that they pack a decent amount of colour and/or shine. Thanks :D

Many schoolers prefer groups larger than 3, however you could maybe do some livebearer like guppies for your group of 2-3.

As for the corys, I would add about 3 more. Most people feed their corys shrimp pellets as well as letting them forage, that would be the solution to a problem of hunger.

If I were to add a school of 3 platies and a bolivian ram, as well as the 2 or 3 other cories, would my tank be able to accomodate? And if I were to instead do the rainbow fish, how large would the school how to be? 6?

Back
Top Bottom