Stocking 30 Gallon - Tank Mate Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fernweh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I currently have a 30 gallon tank that is still cycling, and so I am trying to think about what I would like to stock once it's done. So far I'm thinking...

x2 Pearl Gouramis
x8-10 Cherry Barbs

What other tank mates do you suggest I add without overstocking? I love panda cories (I've read the suggestion is a group of 6?) along with rummy nose tetras, mollies, and platies. I wouldn't mind eventually adding an African Dwarf Frog or two, if compatible. I'm very open to other suggestions as I'm still somewhat new to fish keeping. Thanks for your time! :fish2:

What kind of filtration will you have on the tank? That will largely determine what kind of load it can carry.

For a 30g, the two pearls and 9-11 cherry barbs sounds like a good start. I may be being conservative, but I add 6-7 pandas and stop there.

Barliman - Thanks for your reply! The filter I have is a Tetra Whisper 10-30i.

I'm wondering with the two pearls if the sex pairing would matter. Would 2M be okay or do I need a M/F pair to keep the peace? I'm not looking to breed, so that's my only concern there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm super conservative when it comes to stocking, but I personally would only do one gourami. That way you stay away from territorial aggression and mating aggression. You can't do two males though, that would not be good. I'd say choose between a school of fish or a shoal of cories(they get larger than you think). If you get the cories I'd say you could get another smaller fish. Maybe 6 panda cories, a pearl gourami, and platy, maybe two. But there are a ton of nano fish which you could might be able to do a school of ember tetras.

"It doesn't matter if your on the same page, it matters if your in the same BOOK."
~Platy lover~

I'm super conservative when it comes to stocking, but I personally would only do one gourami. That way you stay away from territorial aggression and mating aggression. You can't do two males though, that would not be good. I'd say choose between a school of fish or a shoal of cories(they get larger than you think). If you get the cories I'd say you could get another smaller fish. Maybe 6 panda cories, a pearl gourami, and platy, maybe two. But there are a ton of nano fish which you could might be able to do a school of ember tetras.

Too bad there's not a "+1" feature; I agree with all of the above.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom