Stocking 36 Gallon BF Artificial Coral/Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stlbluz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm still doing the initial cycle but am obviously excited about stocking when the time is right. I was hoping to get some input on the initial stock as far as compatibility & possible concerns of this group:

Bristlenose Pleco - 1
Zebra Danio – 6-8
Neon Jumbo Tetra – 6-8
African Dwarf Frog - 3
Bleeding Heart Platy - 2
Dwarf Gourami – 2

I'm pretty sure I'm well within the 1' per 1g rule & am mostly going for a colorful, active tank for the kids. (Please no guppy suggestions - pretty fish but they put rabbits to shame) Thoughts?

I'm still doing the initial cycle but am obviously excited about stocking when the time is right. I was hoping to get some input on the initial stock as far as compatibility & possible concerns of this group:

Bristlenose Pleco - 1
Zebra Danio – 6-8
Neon Jumbo Tetra – 6-8
African Dwarf Frog - 3
Bleeding Heart Platy - 2
Dwarf Gourami – 2

I'm pretty sure I'm well within the 1' per 1g rule & am mostly going for a colorful, active tank for the kids. (Please no guppy suggestions - pretty fish but they put rabbits to shame) Thoughts?

I have a 36g Bow Front also Your list looks good I would probably only recommend 1 dwarf gourami in my experience they can be pretty aggressive if you go with two or more Bleeding heart platy if you get those i would probably get a male and female.. and depending on what you like maybe instead of 6-8 zebra danio you could go with 8-12 neon tetras, and maybe a couple of rummy nose tetras.. Of course i would not add all of those at once Esp. if the tank has not cycled yet.. if you haven't read the articles about the nitrogen cycle and cycling an aquarium their are some great articles on this site.. also just an FYI i think the filter that comes with that tank if you bought the deluxe pack aqueon 30 is way underpowered.. not enough media for strong biofiltration on mine i Aqueon 30+Aquaclear 50 and airstone for the bottom of the tank since it is a taller tank and oxygen will be lower at the bottom

Anyway- you could consider getting some juli cory catfish they are interesting to watch and will fill out the bottom of your tank where as the others will be more middle and top level
Hope this helps

Thanks for the response UABsleeperSRNA. That is the kit I bought & I was wondering about the filter. Considering that I'm still at the ammonia stage of the cycle I'll pick up the AquaClear50 & add that immediately. I'm glad I asked about the Dwarf Gourami too as I wasn't aware of their aggressiveness.

Curious about the False Julii Cory Cat. Good addition to keep the tank levels balanced though it says they're better in schools, like 6 of them. Does that sound right? Being bottom dwellers do you thing there would be issues with the Pleco?

& finally, do you have any experience with the African Dwarf Frogs? Got to keep them happy too.

yes people do recommend you keep 5 or 6 cory they all will play together very nicely.. as far as the pleco? i'm not sure i'm sure someone else has on here a better response to that since i have never kept one.. yeah Aquaclear 50 is a great filter for that tank tons of space for media and beneficial bacteria i am running both on my tank at my fish or happy as can be.. I have one dwarf gourami and love it never had a problem but i have had them kill each other with two in the tank!..
Yeah are you doing a fish less cycle or fish in cycle? if fish in cycle i would take it slow!

Oh also Go to AQadvisor.com it's a great site that tells you how much filtration your tank has has hundreds of species and will tell you current stocking level is compared to your filtration, and about how frequently your maintaince schedule should be it will also tell you if fish might be incompatible with each other or your tank!

Thanks again UAB! I stopped by Petco on the way home & picked up the Aquaclear50. Much more advanced & heartier than the stock filter that came with the kit. Going to check out that compatibility website soon too.

I'm currently doing a fishless cycle & am following the steps provided here: Fishless Cycling

Been around 4ppm ammonia for about 5 days now but I'm being patient.

If anybody has had any experience with the African Dwarf Frogs as well as the compatibility of the Cory Cats with Plecos I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Awsome Good luck! Sounds like to me your doing everything right! Strong work! Good Luck! and can't help you with the dwarf frogs! :confused: ha but enjoy! cycling my tank for the first time took about a month with fish in the tank but i would never let the ammonia get above .5ppm so that may be part of the reason yours may go a little faster!

Definitely get some Cory's for the bottom of your tank (as long as you have a sand substrate); you will love their personality.

If you do end up getting Dwarf Gourami's, make sure to get 1 male and 2 females...this will help with the agression.

Thanks guys. I'm scratching the Dwarf Frogs as it seems that some of the foods that the other fish need aren't good for their system.

At this community in the aquarium:

Bristlenose Pleco - 1
Zebra Danio – 6-8
Neon Jumbo Tetra – 6-8
Bleeding Heart Platy – 3(1M&2F)
False Julii Cory Cat – 5-6
Dwarf Gourami – 1

My filter capacity is 192% with a 27% weekly water change & stock level right at 100%. I was actually pretty happy with that but now I'm concerned about the need for sand with the Cory's. If it's mandatory for their health I may need to explore other options. Thoughts?

IMO I think they will be ok as long as you don't have larger pointed gravel you should probably be ok as long as it's smoother.. For example mine would probably not be considered ideal..ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402089706.134300.jpg

Definitely get some Cory's for the bottom of your tank (as long as you have a sand substrate); you will love their personality.

If you do end up getting Dwarf Gourami's, make sure to get 1 male and 2 females...this will help with the agression.

Do you think I'd be okay with just 1 male or female?

Nice tank! I hope my water clears back to that once the cycle is complete.

yep mine did.. i actually did not have bacterial bloom until after it had almost finished cycling i just performed serial water changes 20-30% for 3 or 4 days and it cleared right up and has been clear ever since!

Turned the temp up & is now reading about 82 which I hope helps speed up the cycle. I bought a Coralife Digital Thermometer & the suction cups on it stink. Looking to replace it too.

dot_clear.gif
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-18773-62952C_267-fish.jpg

This is week 3 of the cycle & I'm still on ammonia which to my understanding is normal. My temp is reading around 77.5 & I'm thinking about turning it up a few degrees as others have suggested. In planning ahead I was wondering if anybody has any experience with http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Satellite-Freshwater-Aquarium/dp/B00CMFFMS6 ?

Never used those lights! i'm still on a college budget ha but they look pretty cool! you still getting ammonia readings? what about nitrite and nitrate? what are your ammonia readings?

Temp is at a steady 83.3 which should help the process though I'm still getting a 4ppm ammonia reading. Haven't checked the Nitrite/Nitrate levels yet as I'm waiting to get the ammonia under control.

I hear you about the budget. I'm almost $600 in already with no fish and this is what I've got so far:

img_2974049_0_5d77a1fd0b9690b3e39dfce4c19e2dda.jpg

I'm at 25 days of the cycling process & still getting a reading of 2ppm. Should I be doing anything else or just be patient?

5 weeks in, Ammonia is at 1ppm, PH 7.8, temp is 83.2 & it appears that I've got bacteria bloom too. Looks like I've got a slight Nitrite reading of around .25-.50ppm. Is there anything else I should be doing at this point? Partial water change maybe? Hoping to add fish sometime in 2014 but I'm getting frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom