Stocking 38 gallon planted tank. Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bodik

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I have always dreamed of having an aquarium.I spent numerous hours reading different sources especially on this forum and finally decided to take a plunge and get one. So my new tank is 38 gallon (36*12*20) Aqueon advanced kit from Petco. I've been going back and forward with the stocking and this is what i came up with:

5 Albino Cory (or other small cory)
3 Otocinclus (or maybe just one)
6 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Dwarf Gourami (centerpiece fish)
also want to get some Guppy(3), Platy(3)
and maybe a school of 6-8 neon Tetra.

According to Aquarium Advisor this setup stocking level is 98%.
Yours suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also I want to do plants. Which ones would be suitable for my fish choices? Cant decide on a substrate to please corys as well as plants (pool filter sand, flourite, eco complete?). My aquarium came with Aqueon filter which is not enough. Is it better to get one more small filter and use 2 at the same time or just get one big filter?

Thanks in advance.:fish2:

Hi
I like your stockings, but I have some tips.
I would go without a "center fish" because they are most likely always aggressive. The dwarf would most Likly kill the guppies. But you never know.
I would get rid of cories, yiu never see them since they hide.
Do this
3 guppies
3 platys
3 swordtails
3 mollies
3 ottos

And watch them breed,

I did planted with sand bottom. A heavily planted tank doesn't even need a filter. Get hornwort and wisteria.

This is my 36 gallon

My cories are pretty spunky and fun to watch. They don't seem to hide all that much, but then again I don't have quite as much plant cover as Crazyhermitcrab. :p I did play sand (well-rinsed, of course) over potting soil (no added chemicals or fertiliser). I have a random hodge-podge of plants in there. All are growing, but the wisteria goes crazy. A new plant will grow from a single leaf. I find it fascinating.

I have a dwarf gourami in a 37-gallon with cories, neon tetras, and a black molly, and he's peaceful with all of them. The molly is in love with him, they swim side by side most of the time. From all I've read, dwarf gourami temperaments can vary a lot. Some may be super peaceful and have no problem with guppies, others may beat them up.

I think it's usually appropriate to use two filters, perhaps even desired, but you'll have to ask someone more knowledgeable in that. I know people say that kits usually don't have a filter that's good enough, but I'm using just the one mine came with. I test the water frequently and, presumably because of all the plants, I've seen it go a few weeks without any real need for a water change, though I do it to replenish nutrients, etc.

That size of a tank is a great for starting. Welcome to the world of fish!! As for the filter, you can have 2 or one larger one. I love aquaclear filters because you can customize the media very easily just like a canister. I'd go with an aquaclear 70 or 110 on that tank if your just going to use one. If you want to use the filter that came with your tank, add an AC 50 or 70 and run both. Having 2 filters also insures you'll have filtration if one fails. There is no such thing as over filtering :)

As for the substrate and fish, the fish sound like it would work good. Just beware with livebeaers that they breed like CRAZY! I'm not a fan of them in general however most are pretty! For the substrate, I'd go with pool filter sand. I order mine from ace hardware online and pick it up a few days later. It's the cleanest PFS than other stores (less rinsing before adding to tank) and it's heavier than other sand and looks great.

Back
Top Bottom