stocking 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bunzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 55 g long tank currently cycling, decently planted mainly cambomba(is this okay for the shrimp?) and want to have ghost shrimp(if so how many), fancy guppys(currently have 4 my brother was going to get rid of them so i took them, zebra danios(currently have 6 i purchased for cycling, and another school of fish i was thinking corys or some sort of tetra(more corys,i think there cool) i have another 2 to 4 weeks probably to make my decision any info will be greatly appreciated. my only other tank is a 10 g with 4 african dwarf frogs...should i be concerned on getting a qt tank for introducing my new fish, should i get them all at once or do one species at a time? HOpefully you guys can answer some of my questions!!

bunzy said:
I have a new 55 g long tank currently cycling, decently planted mainly cambomba(is this okay for the shrimp?) and want to have ghost shrimp(if so how many), fancy guppys(currently have 4 my brother was going to get rid of them so i took them, zebra danios(currently have 6 i purchased for cycling, and another school of fish i was thinking corys or some sort of tetra(more corys,i think there cool) i have another 2 to 4 weeks probably to make my decision any info will be greatly appreciated. my only other tank is a 10 g with 4 african dwarf frogs...should i be concerned on getting a qt tank for introducing my new fish, should i get them all at once or do one species at a time? HOpefully you guys can answer some of my questions!!

I think you can get as many ghost shrimp as you want, but i like red cherry shrimp better :) and yes they would like the plants.

If you get some type of cory or tetra get at least schools of 6, they like it better :)

I wouldnt be tooo concerned with a qt tank, just make sure you are mot buying desiesed and unhealthy fish! When you are done cycling introduce a few small fish and see how they do, if they are ok, introduce a few more fish a week and a half later. Then you could probably add a few fish every week, just make sure your water is good and the previous fish are doing well. Try to fill out the schools, rather then adding 2-3 fish from every school.. I hope that all makes sence. Good luck!

If you have space for a qt, then go for it! Many a good, dedicated aquarist has lost fish because of new fish bringing stuff into an established tank. :)
Zebra danios, guppies and cories would all be great together! Ghost shrimp should be fine in there too. You can have a fair amopunt of them of them because they have a tiny bioload.
Are you interested in breedin guppies or just keeping a few males? If you don't want to breed them, then you have quite a bit more space for fish. :)

i really dont have the room for a q.t thats why i asked if i needed it... and i have been previously using the guppy fry to help feed/entertain my african dwarf frogs, they will try to catch them all day.and im pretty sure now thet i know they are forsure compatible im goanna go for around... 25ish shrimp to start(ghost shrimp cause im pretty sure thats all the local pet store has, 8 corys, 10 zebra danios, and buy 2 more female guppies maybe 3(males fight right now(2 males 2 females currently)). still unsure i might end up getting 10 cory's, depending if they have different species, i wouldnt mind 6 and 4, i have heard they will school together. any comments on people using java moss...thinking about that now too looks nice lol

Java moss would be fine in there. I have grwon it in the past. My shrimp hbe liked it a lot. :)
Your stocking sounds fine. Honestly, I think you could put a bit more in there if you wanted, but I think it will look very nice with the fish you described. :)

thanks i think it should look nice aswell... im thinking i may keep my fish numbers lower unless i find something i love... just so the fish have lots of room i was thinking maybe different types of corys, they really interest me

I love my corys. :) When you have fewer fish in tank, you often get to see more individual behaviors from them which is really cool. Also, you have fewer problems with aggression and territoriality.
I suggest you go to your lfs and see which cory species you like. I have julii/peppered/elegant/albino. I would like more, but there is not more room! Panda, bandits, and black spotted are really cute too. :)

finally got the tank cycled (only took 16 days!!!)
have 4panda and 1huge juvi(someone just broguth him back to the lfs, he was in a 10g) my zebra danios, guppies, mystery snails and a recic amount of rcs(got them 75% off) :brows:

Back
Top Bottom