Stocking a 20 gallon and "gray" algae?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
2 things:

1. Would this stocking list be okay in a 20 gallon tank with a tetra whisper 30 filter?

7 orange von rio flame tetras
7 glowlight tetras
1 (maybe 2?!) german blue rams

I don't expect to be able to have a pair of rams, but if i could that would be awesome :dance: :D If not can you tell me what I should do to make these fit?

2. Heres the kicker: There is some kind of grayish whitish clearish algae growth on my tank :confused: (which is currently fishless cycling). and its scaring me :eek: :huh: :blink:!
Any ideas as to what this is?

Any help would be great! :thanks: in advance!

Is this a 20 long or tall? Also, is the mystery substance on driftwood?

It is a 20 tall, I wanted a 20 long, but i already had a 20 tall that i used for gerbils in the past (dont worry, i cleaned it). The algae thing is on this flat thing that the bottle for the gerbils used to be kept on.

Hydrogen Peroxide 3% will kill it :) I used 50 mls on my 25, you you should do 40 once a day for three days, although I would like to get others' input on this.

As for stock, sounds great. Since it is a 20 tall, I would stick with one ram.

Actually, instead of the glowlights, because the ram might eat them, how about 7 lemon tetras?

Ok, another change, I like rummynose tetras, so acording to aqadvisor i can have:
1 gbr
10 rummynose tetras
7 orange von rio flame tetras

AQA (aquaadvisor) is just a guideline. In my 25 I am going to have a number of gold neon tetras along with a ram. They are pretty peaceful, and stay at different levels.

All the fish you are picking besides the von rios are very sensitive to water qaulity, so just take that into account if you want easy or 'hard' fish as your first tank fish.

I know rams are really sensitive, but they look SOOOO AWESOME!!! :fish2::cool::D:popcorn:
I didn't know that rummynose were sensitive though. How sensitive are they?

Oh! Here is a picture I took of the gray algae growth.
You can see the little bubbles in it!

Attachments

• algae.jpeg
    algae.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 71
AQA (aquaadvisor) is just a guideline. In my 25 I am going to have a number of gold neon tetras along with a ram. They are pretty peaceful, and stay at different levels.

All the fish you are picking besides the von rios are very sensitive to water qaulity, so just take that into account if you want easy or 'hard' fish as your first tank fish.
Are there any specific levels I would need to maintain?
KH, GH, PH, temperature, NH3, Nitrite, Nitrate, etc.

Back
Top Bottom