Stocking a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marinemammalover

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am currently cycling my twenty gallon aquarium with six zebra danios which I am going to keep in there. I am planning on getting:
-2 dwarf gouramis
- 2 cherry barbs
- six neon or cardinal tetra

Once the tank is cycled...

Would I be overstocking the tank and if you guys have any ideas of easy to care for and fun other fish to keep in a freshwater community I welcome your suggestions. Thanks

What else do you plan on getting? Like bottom feeders and algae cleaner? Cause you wouldn't be over stocking with what your planning to get but wouldn't leave you much for anything else, also would recommend more then 2 cherry barbs if you like them...

Ducks said:
What else do you plan on getting? Like bottom feeders and algae cleaner? Cause you wouldn't be over stocking with what your planning to get but wouldn't leave you much for anything else, also would recommend more then 2 cherry barbs if you like them...

I wasn't planning on getting any bottom feeders or algae cleaners but if you have any ideas on what kinds I could get that would be great! :)

I think it's a long or maybe not... It's 24 inches long..

Zebra danios would do better in a larger tank as they are very energetic and never stop moving. For now ... Your stock looks ok ... You could do another 2 cherrybarbs ... After that you'll start to get a bit crowded.

jcolon said:
Zebra danios would do better in a larger tank as they are very energetic and never stop moving. For now ... Your stock looks ok ... You could do another 2 cherrybarbs ... After that you'll start to get a bit crowded.

Ok thanks I might add one more cherry barb but that's it. :)

I wasn't planning on getting any bottom feeders or algae cleaners but if you have any ideas on what kinds I could get that would be great! :)

Is your tank planted with DW? If so You could consider doing shrimp ... Amano come to mind. Very active and the get big enough not to get too bothered. The dwarf Gouramis would be my only ? With shrimp. What I suggest is start with some ghost shrimp ... You can get 5 -7 for $1.00. If they make it a month without being eaten by the Gouramis .. Then do Amano.

jcolon said:
Is your tank planted with DW? If so You could consider doing shrimp ... Amano come to mind. Very active and the get big enough not to get too bothered. The dwarf Gouramis would be my only ? With shrimp. What I suggest is start with some ghost shrimp ... You can get 5 -7 for $1.00. If they make it a month without being eaten by the Gouramis .. Then do Amano.

My tank isn't planted at all.... I have 4 different plastic plants and two ornaments....

image-794630268.jpg

You could add 2 Otos but wait till your tank is established and is growing algae.

vanimal said:
You could add 2 Otos but wait till your tank is established and is growing algae.

Did you mean Otocinclus? Would they be okay with my current list
-2 dwarf gouramis
-3 cherry barbs
-6 zebra danio
(I think I'm going to scratch the tetras...)

Agree with vanimal ... While Otos will do fine with your stock ... They do better in more established tanks.

Marinemammalover said:
Did you mean Otocinclus? Would they be okay with my current list
-2 dwarf gouramis
-3 cherry barbs
-6 zebra danio
(I think I'm going to scratch the tetras...)

Yes and its fine with your stock.

emerald76 said:
You need six cherry barbs as they school

Ok so if I get...
-2 dwarf gouramis
-2 dwarf sucker fish aka Otos (once the tank is growing algae)
-6 zebra danio (which I have already have)

Won't six cherry barbs be too much or no??

Marinemammalover said:
Ok so if I get...
-2 dwarf gouramis
-2 dwarf sucker fish aka Otos (once the tank is growing algae)
-6 zebra danio (which I have already have)

Won't six cherry barbs be too much or no??

Well you could drop a Gourami and add 6 Cherries.

Back
Top Bottom