Stocking a 75 gal. Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brant

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok here's what I have come up with so far.
Tank size: 75 gal 48x18x20
Lite: 40 watt florecent
filter: magnum 350 deluxe with biowheel and will add either aquaclear or emporor 280 in adition when funds are availiable
heater: all glass 300 watt
substrate: pool sand
decor: lots of driftwood and slate red and green
plants: hornwart,java moss,anacharis and water sprite More types to come later as the plants I have mentioned will be splitting from existing tank.
Water : 3-4 kh 3-4 gh ph 6.8-7.2
fish :
10 zebra danios (first in the tank to cycle if they make it they stay)
3 angles
3-4 clown loaches
1 black ghost knife
1 pleco I don't know wich yet open for sugestions (what do you say Jchillin any :idea: s) or 2 smaller ones like bristlenose.
I have the tank, light, magnum filter,heater,stand,rocks,and driftwood in my basement ready to go.
I will be starting the tank set up 2 weeks from saturday so any sugestions will be mulled over alot before go time comes. Any sugestions or comments apretiated. Thank you.

Stalking:
To walk with a stiff, haughty, or angry gait: stalked off in a huff.
To move threateningly or menacingly.
To track prey or quarry.

did you mean stocking?

not sure about the plants but did you look into if they are low light plants?
a golden nugget pleco doesnt grow as big as the reg pleco and looks great.

not sure about the fish that I will named, how they do with a ghost:
german blue rams
bolivian rams
pictus catfish
Boesemanis rainblow
praecox rainblow aka neon
from my knowledge in researching the black ghost knife fish will eat anything that fits in its mouth, so any small fishes will sooner or later be dinner.

my personal stocking for my new 75g
xp3 filter and xp1
1.5 to 2.0 wpg lighting
live plants with a lawn
eco-complete or tahaition moon sand or any black sand or pool sand
my current stock that you can look under my sig
and my new add-on stock is
1 golden nugget pleco
6boesemanis rainblow
4 praecox neon rainbows
2 pairs of german blue rams
and 12 to 24 neon tetras or cardinal tetras or rummy nose.

First thing I'd reccomend doing, would be to use the 2 weeks you have now to get a jump start on a fishless cycle. That way, you won't lose any of the danios. Set up your tank and simply add in some household ammonia. If you simply cannot set it up now, then get bio-spira and use it before you add the fish. You will save yourself ALOT of work this way. Otherwise, you will be doing lots of water testing, daily water changes, etc. and will waste money on fish that will die.

Otherwise, your stock list looks ok to me. But, beware that the ghost knife *may* munch on the danios. IME, it's sort of hit or miss with them and their agressiveness. With 75 gallons, you are good with almost any pleco. Bristlenose plecos are different with alot of personality. Sailfin Gibbiceps are a cool addition as well.

Sorry stocking :sorry: Sorry.LOL. The plants are all low light. All plants I mentioned are growing very succefully in a 29 gal with 20 watts of light. As far as the ghost growing to a threatening size as it gets larger I will exchange for a smaller and so on I already worked this out with lfs as they get more $ for the larger ghosts. This of course does not include the danios if they get eaten I look at it as nature in action. As for starting the cycle fish free now I can not as I am going to give this tank its own dedicated electrical outlet and I also want to rearange my living room and shampoo the carpets before I set the tank up. But have no fear the danios are in my cycled qt tank already I will transfer the penguin 100 that is on the qt tank with them for 2 weeks to seed the new tank then plan to do a long slow stocking(I got it rite) probably one group or one fish depending on size every 2-3 weeks as they will be in the qt tank for observation at least 2 weeks before being introduced to the larger tank. So that way I hope to avoid nasty parasites and such. As for a gold nugget pleco I like there looks but don't know much about them I will research it though.(more stuff to learn I love it) I realy like those bristle nose the only concern with them is if they breed and the ghost eats the little ones but yet again that is nature. Thank you both for your input I will keep you updated as to progress and my indesision. Kaz your fish sugestions are great most I do not know much about them though. I am sort of limited on my stocking as this is a community tank in more than one way the loaches are my pic as will be the pleco the angles are for my duaghter and the ghost even though I love them it is my moms pic for the tank she used to have one that grew to 15" in length and she loved it and wants another one in the worst way so I figured why not now she is hepped up on the idea and can't say no she's my mom. The danios are to prepare plus I like them they keep a tank active all the time.

Congrats on your new tank! I'm currently fishless cycling a 75 gallon myself. I can't wait until the cycle's over so I can start adding fish! To answer your Pleco question, I personally would recommend a Sailfin Pleco. I'm the very proud owner of one and he (or she) has quickly become a favorite of mine. They truly look stunning when they're fins are all extended. Here's a picture of mine if you want to see it. [Click here] If you're not interested in such a large Pleco, I'd recommend the Gold Nugget Pleco (saw my first one in person today and they're beautiful, but expensive!), a Bristlenose or two, or a Royal Pleco (although they're expensive as well and may be difficult to find).

Good luck with your setup and enjoy! :)

Wow your sailfin is beutiful does he come out to show himself of like that or did you get lucky with that pic? I would like to find a pleco that comes out once in a while.In my 29 gal tank I have a clown pleco but you halfto get out the flashlite and go on a hunt just to get a glimps of him(or her). Does your sailfin move or uproot any thing in your tank as I have heard the larger pleco's can be living wrecking balls? And yes I have seen both the gold nugget and royal plecos at my lfs the royal was sold in 1 day I think they got like 50 bucks for him but my lfs gets 1 or 2 gold nuggets a monthI think they get around 30 bucks for those and they do look very nice. When I go into the lfs its like taking a car nut to the vegas carshow LOL my walet starts screaming just at the site of the lfs.

Until I read the post I thought "Stalking a 75gal" was just a funny way of saying you were shopping for one. :)

I was actually going to suggest a stripped or spotted Raphael Catfish. They aren't exactly plecos, but they are a heck of a "cleanup fish". I personally think they are about the coolest thing I have ever owned, but they are nocturnal . . . they tend to hide a lot.

I'm a fan of the royal plecos, but I have never owned one. If you want to drop some major cash you could always get a zebra pleco. They are amazing looking!

Yeah the zebras are amazing but at $70 thats alot to put up for single freshwater fish lol My wallet does not like you. I will reserch the raphael catfish.

I've edited the topic to have the correct spelling.

And I thought I was in charge of grammar policing ;)

I have a sailfin and a couple bristlenose, as well as a striped raphael cat, all in different tanks of course. Out of those 4 fish, the sailfin is by far the most gregarious and really doesn't seem to mind the light too much. The others tend to hide all day, but are still really cool fish.

I have a Golden Nugget Pleco, and when he's out- he is gorgeous...

He hides too well, but has finally started coming out more often

Yeah devilfluff I really like the looks of the gold nuget pleco . How long did it take for your gold nugget to start showing himself? PBirdsong i like those rapheals but I think they would compete to much with the clown loaches for food and space but will keep them in mind as I will be setting up another tank after the 75 gal probably a 50 gal as I already have one of those to use for a set up. Do the rapheals realy make noises if so alot or a little?

brant said:
Wow your sailfin is beutiful does he come out to show himself of like that or did you get lucky with that pic? I would like to find a pleco that comes out once in a while.In my 29 gal tank I have a clown pleco but you halfto get out the flashlite and go on a hunt just to get a glimps of him(or her). Does your sailfin move or uproot any thing in your tank as I have heard the larger pleco's can be living wrecking balls? And yes I have seen both the gold nugget and royal plecos at my lfs the royal was sold in 1 day I think they got like 50 bucks for him but my lfs gets 1 or 2 gold nuggets a monthI think they get around 30 bucks for those and they do look very nice. When I go into the lfs its like taking a car nut to the vegas carshow LOL my walet starts screaming just at the site of the lfs.
Thanks! :) Yes, this Pleco comes out quite a bit during the day. Normally he'll come out right away at the morning feeding for a few minutes and then throughout the day he'll make several more appearances a few minutes at a time. Although if someone starts walking towards the tank or if there's a loud noise he'll hurry back to his hiding spot. My Pleco hasn't uprooted anything in my tank, but I don't have *that* many plants to be uprooted so it's hard to say.

My 75 has been setup now for about 2 weeks I transfered the 10 danios to it from my qt tank and thanks to the theft of some gravel and filter material from my 29 gal the cycle took all of 5 days the ammonia and nitrite never breeched .25 ppm. 2 days after the completion of the cycle I transferd my synodontis eureptis (I think thats how you spell it) from my 29 gal to the 75 boy is he happy also at the time I transfered the danios I purchased a black ghost knife he is in my qt and will be at the 2 week mark this weekend so he will be transfered soon. The next fish will be (if they are still at the lfs) an adult pair of bristle nose plecos(1 male 1 female) as for the loaches I am torn betwwen 3 clowns or 3 weather loaches. Any expeiriances with either? And am also reconsidering the angels was thinking maybe tring to find some other type of cichlids that would fit my soft water and tankmates. Any suggestions? Plenty of time as it will be atleast a month before I haveto make that desision. P.S. I went with the aquaclear 70 for my sencondary filter.

Back
Top Bottom