stocking a brackish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishynewbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have 2 black sailfin mollies and 1 red wag platy in a 20 gallon tank. I'm waiting for my water quality to settle down before adding more fish but I'm not sure what to add when the time comes.

The new tank has been running for 2 weeks and is almost done cycling (i think) since I transferred the gravel and filter media from the old tank.

I have had these fish since June and my mollies have become sick twice with white spots, either fungus or ich, not quite sure which. Anyway, both times they got better after adding some salt so I have decided to leave the salt in this time.

This is going to change all my plans because I have to stock with fish that like brackish water now. I don't have anything to measure salinity yet, but will be getting something when I begin stocking.

What are some fish that are compatible and like brackish water?

Current set up
20 gallon
1 red wag platy
2 black sailfin mollies
Penguin biowheel 150 filter
Decorated with fake plants, some decorations my kids picked out that provide hiding spots, and one bubbling decoration for oxygenation

Water parameters:
pH 8.2-8.4
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Temp 82

I should add that there are some pretty strong currents in the tank so I need fish that will tolerate that as well

Platy has to go. A bumblebee goby would work but not much else

emerald76 said:
Platy has to go. A bumblebee goby would work but not much else

Not much else because of tank size, tank mates, or brackish conditions?

Back
Top Bottom