Stocking a small/medium sized tank - a Piranha?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Castelau

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new filter on the way for my secondary tank and that means I can finally start thinking about what to put in it!
Filtration will not be an issue, let me say that now, despite this being only a 75L. I'm interested in really quite aggressive fish, the meaner the better. (I've sort of lost interest in having the pretty little guppies and other sweet community fish.) Whilst I dream of owning an oscar and know that that is just not feasible, I'm drawn more and more to piranhas. My family has owned them before, though my mother cannot remember what sort exactly.
The sort most readily available here is the red bellied, having done a bit of research, I think just one of these guys would be good for a long time, with a view to getting a slightly larger tank at a much later date if needed? One of the shops tried to convince me I'd be fine with a shoal but I'm well aware I CANNOT take home a group of them, no matter how small they are at the moment.
So... thoughts? Is this still an incredibly dumb idea?

I think they would do much better in a group. Like oscars, they are very messy eaters so lots of water changes.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Are you saying 75L as in liters? That's 18 gallons...wayyyy too small for even a single piranha.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a new filter on the way for my secondary tank and that means I can finally start thinking about what to put in it!

Filtration will not be an issue, let me say that now, despite this being only a 75L. I'm interested in really quite aggressive fish, the meaner the better. (I've sort of lost interest in having the pretty little guppies and other sweet community fish.) Whilst I dream of owning an oscar and know that that is just not feasible, I'm drawn more and more to piranhas. My family has owned them before, though my mother cannot remember what sort exactly.

The sort most readily available here is the red bellied, having done a bit of research, I think just one of these guys would be good for a long time, with a view to getting a slightly larger tank at a much later date if needed? One of the shops tried to convince me I'd be fine with a shoal but I'm well aware I CANNOT take home a group of them, no matter how small they are at the moment.

So... thoughts? Is this still an incredibly dumb idea?

Piranhas are surprisingly skittish in aquaria and generally peaceful in the wild. They only get aggressive when blood/food gets involved so chances are they're going to lack the aggression you seek...
*edit* Oh and not to mention the tanks too small like Nigel pointed out.

Hum... thanks, I had thought as much. I will just have to put off getting something larger until we move house then.
Any suggestions as to smaller fish that would work with this space constraint?

the only time I've seen piranhas in a home tank in which they lived up to their reputation was a 200 gallon tank, 12 red bellied piranhas about 6"-8" around with lots of plants.

the owner would give them feeder rats every couple of months and that was a rather amazing and gruesome spectacle. Otherwise they got goldfish/beef heart/liver.

But a single one in a small tank will probably hide as much as possible.

the only time I've seen piranhas in a home tank in which they lived up to their reputation was a 200 gallon tank, 12 red bellied piranhas about 6"-8" around with lots of plants.

the owner would give them feeder rats every couple of months and that was a rather amazing and gruesome spectacle. Otherwise they got goldfish/beef heart/liver.

But a single one in a small tank will probably hide as much as possible.

Goldfish are actually very unhealthy to a fishes diet. They can carry parasites and greatly lack in nutritional value.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Piranhas are surprisingly skittish in aquaria and generally peaceful in the wild. They only get aggressive when blood/food gets involved so chances are they're going to lack the aggression you seek...
*edit* Oh and not to mention the tanks too small like Nigel pointed out.

I agree piranhas are not aggressive at all unless you get a Rhom, but they get huge.
If you want aggressive, you'll have to up the tank size quite a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom