Stocking Advice 30 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bwick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I have a 30 gallon tank lightly planted and stocked with...image-1608637282.jpg

3 buenos aires tetras
3 Colombian tetras
2 glo fish
2 electric green tetras
1 gold gourami
1 bamboo shrimp

What is the limit on stocking a tank so the fish are comfortable?

Can I add a few german blue rams to this tank without overstocking?

Thanks in advance for the helpful advise.

Bwick .

Geez I guess no one has any advice for me then...

If your going to go with rams I suggest Bolivian rams. Much more heartier and just as beautiful. How established is your tank? German blue rams require a well established maintain tank and low nitrate levels. Ph they say around 7 but if your ph is higher but stable is not a concern. You could add a bristlenose pleco if you have driftwood. Rams also enjoy rock caves and such. Mine enjoy a clay pot. You could up your tetras also to get a more schooling effect. The rams are low level dwellers also. If you go with rams try to get a male and female that have paired up. If you get two random male and female they may not pair up. My bolivians won't pair up so I want to introduce 2 more to my 55.

Bwick said:
Hello everyone,

I have a 30 gallon tank lightly planted and stocked with...

6 buenos aires tetras
6 Colombian tetras
6 glo fish
6 electric green tetras
1 bamboo shrimp

What is the limit on stocking a tank so the fish are comfortable?

Can I add a few german blue rams to this tank without overstocking?

Thanks in advance for the helpful advise.

Bwick .

I edited your stock list to have the proper numbers of fish for the tank
Gold gouramis are super aggressive. What about an apisto or krib or ram instead?

Thanks for the advice.

I had no idea that I could have that many fish in my tank. My gold gourami was a big jerk when I first introduced it to my tank (I think I may have killed my neon black tetras) but now it seems to fit in and doesn't bother any other fish.

My tank has been up and running for 8 months now only losing 3 neon black tetras and I maintain exquisite water parameters with a neutral ph of 7.0

I did research Bolivian rams and will be looking for a pair to add to my tank in the future.

Thanks Again,

Bwick

I have dealt with gouramis for years now and I agree with what you just said they might be slightly aggressive at first then they just ignore everybody else. The aggression with blue gouramis( gold are the same as just a different color) tends to be towards each other.

While it's best to keep tetras in groups, it's not like 6 is the magic number that makes a life or death difference. Buenos Aires and Colombian tetras get rather large for a tetra, and are quite nippy with one another (and occasionally, other fish). Since you already have the gold gourami, I'd probably stop there with the stocking. You may find someday that you need to rehome the BAs and the Colombians, or you might not. Fish behavior and aggression is almost never a sure bet.

Back
Top Bottom