Stocking advice? And question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mannymouse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!
I recently bought a 45 gal fluval bowfront starter kit (as I am a beginner) and wanted to know about how many of each type of fish you recommend I get to start out. I know that some of these are live bearers and may interbreed. That's ok :) baby's are welcome.

I how many of each should I start out with:
Guppies
Neon tetra
Assorted mollies :p
And I am getting a single Pleco.

Also the person at the pet store recommended getting a betta before having all of the fish in the tank to start cycling the tank.. Is this a good idea? And can we keep the betta safely in there with all of these different types? I'm worried about fin nipping happening. Any advice helps a lot! Thanks!!

Betta and live bearers are usually pretty safe as long as the other fish don't have flowing fins. Cycling the aquarium with a betta, because they are labyrinth fish, is not a bad idea. They can handle poor water quality better than most fish. Neon tetra I would wait on until the tank is fully cycled and you are sure it's good to go, they are easy to kill in poor water. Guppies, 2 mating pairs could potentially stock your aquarium by themselves lol. And mollies are generally used for cycling fresh and saltwater aquariums, so I would add a couple with the betta to get the tank rolling. Live plants are also a good idea. If you don't plan on keeping live plants after cycling I would use bunches of anacharis because they are cheap and disposable.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's awesome thank you! :) what types of live plants would you suggest to have for cycling and to keep after? And would I need any special lights or anything for them? Sorry for all of the questions lol just want to make sure I'm doing this right :p cuz I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. Happy to learn :)

Java fern is very hardy and easy. Most of the swords as well.

I would also recommend, if you feel froggy, if the swords come potted carefully remove them from the pots without breaking the roots. I personally have never had luck with keeping them in the pots. Rinse off the potting junk real good as well.

Back
Top Bottom