Stocking + Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickeybags

Aquarium Advice Regular
I posted a while back asking about what to stock in a ten gallon community aquarium. I got some good ideas but am still looking. I currently have a male betta I would like to place in the tank as well. This aquarium will be in my dorm room and I planned to buy come September when I'm in my new room. However since I last posted I've learned about cycling and think I should get the equipment now. What I wanted to get some opinions on fishless cycling. Also I currently have a male betta and I was wondering if I could put him in the tank while cycling? (Since I have the tank I don't see why he should suffer in his bowl any longer) I don't want to get the tank in September and then wait a month for it to cycle. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If I were you I would put the betta in the tank while it cycles since the bowl he's in is probably not cycled anyway. Good luck with your betta.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would just do the single betta and do a fish in cycle for now. Once the tank is cycled which will take about a month other fish can be added.

Just monitor the water parameters while the fish is in there, I would test 3 times a week with a single betta in a 10g tank. Follow that with a 50% water change when the ammonia or nitrite rises above 0.25ppm. When you no longer have any ammonia or nitrite then you can add a few more fish.

Back
Top Bottom