Stocking fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tdukes22

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok well this is the story I lost power and I have a 55g tank with about 20 fish so I brought them over to my moms house and put them in my 14g tank with a filter that is for a 35-40 g tank would it be ok if I kept them in that 14g tank or should I move them the fish I have is about 7 black tetra 5other type of tetra I believe with the black thing on top that looks like a Mohawk 5 zebras N this orange fish that can b a gold fish but I'm not quite sure

Attachments

• image-2577316906.jpg
    image-2577316906.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 81
how long would thye be in this tank?
if its only for a weeks or so then thats fine. if its permanent, not really as the tetras (i think u have black skirt tetras btw) and zebras need more room.
and yeah it looks like a goldfish, so it needs your 55 more than the 14 obv!

Yes, it is a goldfish. It will need a pond or a tank that is at least 125 gallons.

Is the power back on? If so they need to be back in the 55.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long did you lose power for? In most common power outage situations, the fish don't need moved, but if it was for an extended period of time, moving them may be best.

The tetras and, what I'm guessing what are danios, will be fine in the 14 gal for a short period time, how long are we talking? The goldfish is a cool water fish that should be kept in a pond or a much larger than than a 55, so I would rehome it.

Yes, it is a goldfish. It will need a pond or a tank that is at least 125 gallons.

Is the power back on? If so they need to be back in the 55.

Now that I have called out the rude individual the fish should be fine in the 14gallon till the power is back on in your place. Just make sure you keep your BB alive while your power is out by adding ammonia directly into your filter Id think this would do the trick but maybe not enough so you may have to do a small cycle on your 55 gallon. I do agree however that the gold fish needs to be re-homed, It wont do well in a tank kept at a tropical temperature.

the fish I have is about 7 black tetra 5other type of tetra I believe with the black thing on top that looks like a Mohawk 5 zebras N this orange fish that can b a gold fish but I'm not quite sure

In order to properly care for your fish, it's really important to know which species you have. There are some wonderful threads on here that may be able to help if you go and look at photos. Or post photos of your fish so that we can help you ID them.

To the OP, I think you'll fish will be ok in the 14g as it won't be for long, I think the gold fish will be better off being
re-homed tho as they do alot better in cold water. Good luck :)

As already said I'd rehome the Goldie as its a colder water fish.

The others Gould be ok as long as you keep a strict water change schedule and cut back on the amount of food.

Hope all goes well, good luck!

Scouser said:
As already said I'd rehome the Goldie as its a colder water fish.

The others Gould be ok as long as you keep a strict water change schedule and cut back on the amount of food.

Hope all goes well, good luck!

Thank you very much i agree with you on both aspects :)

It is not an issue of being cold water, that is an over-regurgitated myth about goldfish. They are NOT cold water fish, they can do well in a very wide range of temps, including tropical. The issue is size.

The OP hasn't even responded so all the responses in the world are pointless. Email notification should be the default subscription.

LyndaB said:
Amen to the last 3 posts..... (y)

In order to properly care for your fish, it's really important to know which species you have. There are some wonderful threads on here that may be able to help if you go and look at photos. Or post photos of your fish so that we can help you ID them.

Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

Fishguy2727 said:
It is not an issue of being cold water, that is an over-regurgitated myth about goldfish. They are NOT cold water fish, they can do well in a very wide range of temps, including tropical. The issue is size.

The OP hasn't even responded so all the responses in the world are pointless. Email notification should be the default subscription.

Yea because I didn't even know till I just got back on today. I wish they would of sent me a notification so I could of checked out what you guys said.

siva said:
How long did you lose power for? In most common power outage situations, the fish don't need moved, but if it was for an extended period of time, moving them may be best.

The tetras and, what I'm guessing what are danios, will be fine in the 14 gal for a short period time, how long are we talking? The goldfish is a cool water fish that should be kept in a pond or a much larger than than a 55, so I would rehome it.

The power is still out and it's almost been a week now, and how long do I have to get the gold fish into a new home? That fish grew in like 2 months to that size and I'm thinking about getting a 125g tank in feb. So do you think the goldfish will be ok till then because I'm going to start looking into getting a bigger tank and put it right next to the 55g in my room.

Getting back to the original question-
You will eventually have to move that goldfish. IMO common golds get too big for tanks, they are more suitable for ponds. Your tetras should have a bigger tank and school so they have room to stretch and swim. JMO.

Just my .02 cents-I am typing on my iPhone right now and still type fine. Depends on the person. I can read what you write fine, so it's not really an issue for me.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Getting back to the original question-
You will eventually have to move that goldfish. IMO common golds get too big for tanks, they are more suitable for ponds. Your tetras should have a bigger tank and school so they have room to stretch and swim. JMO.

Just my .02 cents-I am typing on my iPhone right now and still type fine. Depends on the person. I can read what you write fine, so it's not really an issue for me.

Yea I have a 55g tank at my house,but I'm planning for my birthday in February to get me a bigger tank. Since I'm only 20 I still live with my grandmother and I talked to her about getting a 125g tank next to my 55g. She sounded pissed because I don't have a lot of room in my room but I'll figure something out to put both of them in my room. Thanks for your help will my tetras be fine in my 55g tank?

ENOUGH.

This is not an English class. Please keep this thread on topic.

Some say 125 is large enough for commons, some feel they need even more.

The 14 gal definitely shouldn't house the goldie for four more months, but if the power is back on soon and, you can get it back into the 55, it should be fine until Feb. Keep an eye on your water parameters. Goldies have a large bio-load so keep a close eye on your water parameters.

siva said:
Some say 125 is large enough for commons, some feel they need even more.

The 14 gal definitely shouldn't house the goldie for four more months, but if the power is back on soon and, you can get it back into the 55, it should be fine until Feb. Keep an eye on your water parameters. Goldies have a large bio-load so keep a close eye on your water parameters.

**** how big do gold fish get lol. When I was a kid we use to have like 4 gold fishes in a 35g tank and they seemed to be fine. But they grow so fast it's crazy. It was so small like 2 mints ago and it was brown and the. It got huge. I'm going I try I get my grandmother to agree to let me get the 125 g tank but I have to figure out how it will fit in my room

LyndaB said:
I believe that just about all tetras would really love a 55 gallon tank.

What fish are good for the 55g and how many because I love fish and I want to make my fish tanks look and be a great home for my fishes.

Back
Top Bottom