Stocking for 20 GALLON.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
HEY ALL,
I have a 20 gallon tank that was home to a few baby cichlids, but they are now in my newly cycled 55. I bought 4 guppies and 5 rummy nose tetra(the ones the with red nose) What does everyone think about a pair of GBR? Im hearing to different schools of thought on whether this tank size is ok. ?! and, if they are not ok.. what are everyones suggestions for a 20 gallon.? Thanks!

I currently have 6 ghost cats, 6 kuhlis, scarlet badis badis, 8 tinwini danios and 6 CPDs in my 20g long. Plus a golden rabbit snail. All 14 of the danios (all about .5") school constantly, around and around the plants in circles lol Looks awesome in a generously planted tank.

I have a GBR in the bigger tank, and he utilizes the entire bottom third of the tank, 4'x1.5'. Personally, I would think they would need a little bigger to thrive, especially a pair. But hey, I only bought him last month, still learning new things about him!

A pair of rams in a 20 gal is fine. Just avoid adding bottom dwellers so they don't get bullied when the rams are in breeding mode.

siva said:
A pair of rams in a 20 gal is fine. Just avoid adding bottom dwellers so they don't get bullied when the rams are in breeding mode.

Oh yay!! That is great news! should I keep my guppies and tetra also in the tank?

missie said:
Oh yay!! That is great news! should I keep my guppies and tetra also in the tank?
are bolivian rams the same? My lfs has bolivian s right now..

Very similar, and are compatible.
Germans have more colour, but there has been an increasing amount of inbred GBRs being sold as authentic ones. Just keep an eye out.

Bolivians on the other hand, I have kept longer than GBR. From my experience, and from others, they have a more interesting behavior and are much hardier. Also, from research, they are better suited for 20g than GBRs

I have a pair of Bolivian rams in my 20 gallon long community. They get along great with the other fish and have great personality. And quite a treat to the eye with great color. ( Germans are more vibrant, but the bolivians look great too. Here is one of mine

Attachments

• image-542974935.jpg
    image-542974935.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 72
You'd be much better off to pick up the bolivians, especially if you're buying from a lfs. GBR's are much more sensitive. I've never been able to keep one alive for long. If you could find one from a local breeder, that raised them in water parameters atleast somewhat similar to yours, you'd have better chances of being able to keep them long term. Bolivians are much hardier.

The tetras could possibly get in their way if breeding, but it may work just fine. I can't say for sure.

Just dont get any other bottom dwellers. They will need all the space down there for themselves.

Mike4242 said:
I have a pair of Bolivian rams in my 20 gallon long community. They get along great with the other fish and have great personality. And quite a treat to the eye with great color. ( Germans are more vibrant, but the bolivians look great too. Here is one of mine

I am so excited! I love those fish! does that stock this tank?

Mike4242 said:

They look great!

Blue males get about 3" and bolivian males about 3.5". Females stay a bit smaller.

So, 2 rams...4 guppies and 4 rummy nose tetras. does that stock my tank or does anyone have any other ideas for additions. :)

Go with atleast 6 rummies since they are schoolers. There also a bit sensitive so you don't want them stressed. I'd say that's about stocked. If you've got a good filter on there, you could add more guppies.

I run a marineland penguin biowheel 200 :) Yes, I def want more rummies, my lfs only had 4 @ the time.

Back
Top Bottom