Stocking For a 40 Gallon Tropical Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingMalabar7954

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can You give me some stocking options?
I want Hardy, Peaceful, Fish that arent so high maintenance. I would prefer to have fish from this list:
Dwarf Gourami
Black Molly
Platy
Zebra Danio
Neon Tetra
Tiger Barb
Gold Barb
Cherry Barb
Kuhli Loach
Angelfish
Guppy
Betta
Harlequin Rasbora
Thanks!

Definitely not the the tiger barbs maybe a large school of harlequin and some cherry barbs with some guppies and the angel for the centerpiece maybe kuhlis or cores for the bottom layer

I agree to shy away from tiger barbs. I'm a fan of neons (small and colorful!) so I'd go with a school of those and harlequins with an angel and maybe a type of ram and cories!

@Fishfanboy you're right i always thought that they would only nip long finned fish! Would they do okay in a tank with a Red Tailed Shark and a rubbernose pleco? Just a thought, although i most likely won't go in that direction.

If you like the Neon Tetra, look into the Cardinal Tetra. They look similar, but the Cardinals are more colorful in my opinion.
I agree, and like the cardinals a whole lot more, but i have heard stories of them being fragile.
Anyway, my plan is
4x Peppered Cories
6x Head and Tail Light Tetras
6x Cherry Barbs
6x Harlequin Rasboras
1x Angelfish
1x Sparkling Gourami
3x Platies
Aqadvisor said this was okay, but i have heard stories of it being untrustworthy.

I am a fan of the danios because they are so fun I would consider having like ten or so of those

I agree, and like the cardinals a whole lot more, but i have heard stories of them being fragile.

Anyway, my plan is

4x Peppered Cories

6x Head and Tail Light Tetras

6x Cherry Barbs

6x Harlequin Rasboras

1x Angelfish

1x Sparkling Gourami

3x Platies

Aqadvisor said this was okay, but i have heard stories of it being untrustworthy.

I'd up the Peppered Cory Cat number to 6. Other than that, it looks like any entertaining community!

Also check out the Rummynose Tetras.
Rummynoses are nice as well, but i have heard even worse on them when it comes to sensitivity.
Guys, Could I replace The Sparkling Gourami With a Honey Gourami? I think it would be able to compete for food a lot better, and would be able to stick up for himself.:fish2:

I am a fan of the danios because they are so fun I would consider having like ten or so of those
I do too, And I love the celestial pearls and turquoise ones, but wouldn't they stress out the angel with their activity level?

How long is your tank? You'll want to give the cardinals a long tank to swim around.
Could I do this?
6 Albino Aeneus Cory Cats
1 Black Molly
3 Platies
4 Kuhli Loaches
1 Honey Gourami
6 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Cherry Barbs
6 Head and Tail Light Tetras
I will have a 70 gallon filter.

Back
Top Bottom