Stocking help- 20 G, planted community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hpenney112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all!

I have a 20G live-planted tank that I am currently setting up. I have had fish off and on since I was a kid. But I have been more seriously into fish keeping for the last 2 years. I am starting a new tank and I am currently doing a fish - in cycle with 6 black neon tetras. I have filter media from my tanks at work to help cycle faster,

Once the cycle is complete I plan on having:

8 black neon tetras
6 Sterbai's cories
And something else.

I cannot decide on a focal species for my tank. The Sterbai's are my favorite species, and the black neons are fun and a bit different from a regular neon. So I am trying to get a good compliment to my peaceful community tank.

I am debating on:

German Blue rams - M/F pair
Dwarf Honey gouriami - M/F pair Dwarf gouriami pair
Angel fish pair

I know GBRs are particular with water chemistry. So, while I am leaning towards them, I am apprehensive.

I don't know much about honey's, so I don't know how they will go with the tetras, and I have heard mixed reviews on DGs.

Angelfish I go back and forth about. My tank is not a tall, but if I go with angelfish I would upgrade to a 40G eventually. I also don't want them to eat the tetras, and I'm worried about the fast swimming tetras with the angels.

I am wondering if I am seriously over thinking this? Have I missed a good potential species? I like the idea of a pair of something, I have had success in the past with cherry barbs and golden barbs, but I want to try something a bit different this time. I am not fussy on live bearers like mollies or guppies, so I am at a loss. I don't want an over stocked tank, cause that is such a royal pain and is so bad for the fish.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd keep it a South American themed tank and go with the GBRs or add a small school of Otos.

Thanks, I keep second guessing myself. But I think GBRs are the way I'm going to go. :) now I have to wait while my tank cycles, which is hard.

20g 6 black neon tetras

Back
Top Bottom