Stocking Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steveo1313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wish you could start a new tank? Well live through me!

I have just finished cycling my 37gallon tall. I need to stock it! I have 6 zebra danios (figured I'd get some tough little guys in there after my first cycle just to be sure!) and plenty of room. It's not planted, but I do have lots of silk and plastic plants I received as gifts and plenty of things to hide in.

I know this comes up A LOT on here, but I LOVE angelfish. I REALLY want one as a center piece (I know 2 would probably be too crowded in the tank). I know lots of people love gourami's, but I LOVE me some angels! I also love dalmation mollies and other mollies but they might not work with everybody else :ermm:

In summary,

Suggestions for adding to my tank??

37 Gallon Tall (30Lx12.5Wx25.6H)
-Sand Substrate (White-ish)
-Black Background

I HAVE:
(6) Zebra Danios

I WANT:
@ Least 1 Angelfish.
More Color

Thanks Everyone!

If you could give me a list of compatible community fish that would be great.

P.S. After a long time using all your advice I've made an account so I'll be sure to try to help in return! Thanks again!

The angels might get a little aggressive with the other fish in your tank. I would look at dwarf gouramis as a choice. There are a lot of different colors and patterns. Since you have sand you might consider some Kuli Loaches.

Thanks,

I was also thinking maybe a cichlid tank for their awesome colors, but I've read they prefer a longer tank over tall and as you can see I have a tall tank.

MY CURRENT PLAN however was to add more danios because I've heard if they're in a larger school they'll keep more to themselves.

I was thinking
1 Angel
12 Zebra Danios
6 Cory cats (or some other small school of bottom feeders)
and possibly another small school of something colorful or a couple 2-3" fish.

That would about stock my tank to the max.

UPDATE:

So I went to my LFS and found myself QUICKLY loving gouramis. Thanks to Amicus I looked at them for about an hour. I've decided instead of an angel and the trouble to go along with raising one. I'll fix up my first tank with a DG. SO....

I'm now thinking

6 Zebra Danios (Already have and love their free for all attitude)
1 Dwarf Gourami
6 Kuhli Loaches OR Peppered Corys
6 Sunburst Platties OR 4 Mollies (3F:1M most likely)

Suggestions? Approvals? Nay sayers?

Looks fine to me. If you get male/female mix of the livebearers (platys/mollys) you'll need to have a backup plan as to what to do with the babies when they have them as they'll quickly overstock the tank. Good luck!

You may also want to consider some neon or columbian tetras, the latter being very bright and you could get quite a few of them. Harlequin Rasporas are really cool too, they are a shoaling fish.

I was going to start a cichlid tank but you are right, a good starter tank is a 55 long and I don't have one of those yet. :) You would also have to add media that would help keep the pH high like limestone rock and a special substrate. You also need good filtration as to help curb aggression it is recommended to overcrowd the tank.

Back
Top Bottom