Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And yes they can be difficult to find at times. I have a nice LFS here that almost always has them. Lucky me!

depends on the fish. 29 gallons (what i have) give you less surface volume bc its more high then long while 30 gallons are very high.

:confused::confused::confused: a 29 is higher while 30 gallons are very high? How would you setup my tank, any way you want but you have to have 6 odessa barbs? :thanks:

And yes they can be difficult to find at times. I have a nice LFS here that almost always has them. Lucky me!

Mine just started getting them in and i fell in love with them! My dad likes them too, probably why he ordered them!! haha

Aquarium makers generally stick to a standard length and width but will vary heights. This makes it a lot easier to mass produce tops for varying aquariums. Example. A 55 gallon, and a 40 long are the same width and length. But a 55 is much taller. This means if I ever wanted to change from my 40 long to a 55, really I'd only need the aquarium and filter. So a 29 and 30 may only vary by 1 gallon but it can drastically change the dimensions. Make sense?

Aquarium makers generally stick to a standard length and width but will vary heights. This makes it a lot easier to mass produce tops for varying aquariums. Example. A 55 gallon, and a 40 long are the same width and length. But a 55 is much taller. This means if I ever wanted to change from my 40 long to a 55, really I'd only need the aquarium and filter. So a 29 and 30 may only vary by 1 gallon but it can drastically change the dimensions. Make sense?

Ohhh ok, yea because mine is 30 long 18 high 12 wide

:confused::confused::confused: a 29 is higher while 30 gallons are very high? How would you setup my tank, any way you want but you have to have 6 odessa barbs? :thanks:

oops i meant 30 gallons are long not high while 29 gallons are high but only as long as a 20 gallon long. and id do
8-odessa barbs (barbs do better with larger numbers)
6-juli corys
2-bolivian rams
1-bristlenose or albino bristenose or rio negro pleco.

oops i meant 30 gallons are long not high while 29 gallons are high but only as long as a 20 gallon long. and id do
6-juli corys
2-bolivian rams

Sorry for my newb questions but, ive never heard of bolivian rams, i heard their similar to german blue rams. Not sure if my LFS even sells bolivians!! Leme look on their website real quick

I can call and ask tomorrow, but their website isnt showing any bolivian rams, if they dont have any what else would you recommend??

allaboutfish said:
6-juli corys
2-bolivian rams

I agree with all but the rams. Only cuz I don't really care for them. :) haha. IMO I'd see what happens with the pleco corys and odessas and then see of you'd want to add anything else really.

Either that or I'd go with some schooling fish that have contrasting colors to the odessas. Rummynose tetras or neons have some good contrast.

Either that or I'd go with some schooling fish that have contrasting colors to the odessas. Rummynose tetras or neons have some good contrast.

I think thats a great idea but i like my tank this way
1 or 2 main larger center piece fish
1 school of awesome fish = odessa barbs
1 pleco, its a must! :)
and some clean up crew = julii corys

allaboutfish said:
and theres also apitogrammas i have these, and kribensis, and keyhole cichlids

+1 to the apistos. Although I worry about ossicle fighting between cichlids and barbs?

tmg996 said:
I think thats a great idea but i like my tank this way
1 or 2 main larger center piece fish
1 school of awesome fish = odessa barbs
1 pleco, its a must! :)
and some clean up crew = julii corys

Apistos can be absolutely gorgeous fish. I'd look into that.

i have a double red cockatoo apisto. my avatar is an apisto same breed and joyler i think has triple reds

tmg996 said:
Wow they are beautiful!!! Now i want one of those ASAP!! Im going to call LFS tomorrow and see if pet co has any:D

Like I said earlier though. I would just caution about cichlid vs barb aggression...

Back
Top Bottom