Stocking Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Underdark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys, a long time ago I bought a 50 gallon tank and finally I have water in it. It is almost done cycling, but I want to make sure it cycled really well before I add fish (I'm doing a fishless cycle) In the end I hope to make it a moderately heavy, low-tech planted tank. The filter I'm using is a marineland c-220. So I have been thinking about what fish will go into my tank soon and this is what I'm thinking...:fish2:

- x15 silver hatchets
- x10 x-ray tetras
- x8 rummy nose tetras
- x7 panda or Julii Cories
- x6-8 Khuli loches (how many of these guys should I add someone said 8 but I don't want to overstock)
- assorted shrimp

Can I have your input on this stocking plan? All ideas will be appreciated and taken into consideration! Thank you.

Hello guys, a long time ago I bought a 50 gallon tank and finally I have water in it. It is almost done cycling, but I want to make sure it cycled really well before I add fish (I'm doing a fishless cycle) In the end I hope to make it a moderately heavy, low-tech planted tank. The filter I'm using is a marineland c-220. So I have been thinking about what fish will go into my tank soon and this is what I'm thinking...:fish2:

- x15 silver hatchets

- x10 x-ray tetras

- x8 rummy nose tetras

- x7 panda or Julii Cories

- x6-8 Khuli loches (how many of these guys should I add someone said 8 but I don't want to overstock)

- assorted shrimp

Can I have your input on this stocking plan? All ideas will be appreciated and taken into consideration! Thank you.

This sounds fine. It's pretty stocked but should work great. Be careful tho, hatchets are known for jumping, make sure you have a right lid. I think 4-5 khulis would work.

Great thank you! Ya the hatchets will hopefully be safely enclosed under my lids. If they jump and hit themselves will they injure themselves?

Great thank you! Ya the hatchets will hopefully be safely enclosed under my lids. If they jump and hit themselves will they injure themselves?

No problem. And they shouldn't hurt themselves, I'm no expert on hatchets because I don't have experience with them, but from learning about other fishes behavior they shouldn't jump too much unless they're scared. Again, I have no experience and could be wrong but I don't think they'd hurt themselves jumping.

Alright I guess I'll just have to experiment! Haha thanks again

Bump up the kuhli loaches to at least 8. The more you have the more secure they feel and the less they hide. Don't have that big of a bio load either

If I'm bumping up the khulis then will I need to cut some other fish out?

Thank you all for your responses! Anything more people can add?

Back
Top Bottom