Stocking ideas for 30 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiffya

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently acquired a 30 gallon tank for my bedroom and not sure what to stock it with. I need to have a very low maintenance tank as my 55 gallon mbuna tank requires at least weekly water changes. I currently have 2 inches of black sand, 1 large cave decoration, a aqueon 55/75 which cycles 400 gph. I have extra bubblers, powerheads, and heaters as needed. I'm hoping to only have to do bi weekly to monthly water changes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's really a tall order.. you'd have to barely stock a 30 to keep it that low mainatnace. Perhaps a heavily planted Nano fish and shrimp tank??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Let me clarify what I mean by low maintenance. I am just referring to how often I need to do water changes. Cleaning filters, and algae doesn't bother me and isn't as time consuming as water changes. So I would prefer to do monthly or at most biweekly water changes.

Let me clarify what I mean by low maintenance. I am just referring to how often I need to do water changes. Cleaning filters, and algae doesn't bother me and isn't as time consuming as water changes. So I would prefer to do monthly or at most biweekly water changes.

If you would like to prolong WC's to biweekly or monthly, I would suggest a hamster. ALL fish should get at least weekly WC's and some even more.

If you would like to prolong WC's to biweekly or monthly, I would suggest a hamster. ALL fish should get at least weekly WC's and some even more.

I agree that all tanks should have weekly WC. On a 30 gallon tank, just do it same day you do the cichlids and it'd only be about 15 more minutes to change out 10-15 gallons :)

However, if you lightly stock your tank (prob around 50%) with low bioload fish and excellent filtration, you could maybe scoot by with biweekly changes. But weekly is better.

Don't wana do water changes a Sump is really good for that... But it's really bad for your cash... I've head of some on with a sump on there 200gall discus tank and it like 10 years they have done 12 water changes. But fish wise most tetras do have a low bio load. A lot of people live neons

I was thinking neons too... For a 30 gal maybe like 20 neons and some shrimp would be lightly stocked, nice and easy maintenance!

I was thinking neons too... For a 30 gal maybe like 20 neons and some shrimp would be lightly stocked, nice and easy maintenance!

Agree shrimp are so fun to watch! I have ghost shrimp and I jest love watching them such for food. And they would keep the bottom of the tank clean

Back
Top Bottom