Stocking ideas for a 10g girls themed tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WetlandDad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am doing a 10g fresh setup for my 5yo daughter's bday in August. I'm most likely putting it in either her playroom or bedroom. Either way from a spatial standpoint it's gonna have to be a 10g setup. I am looking for a peaceful hardy species that will be fun to watch for a young kid. I know that with a 10g setup I am limited to what I can put in it. Although I would like to go with more than 2 fish if possible. I have time before I make the stock purchase. So I would like to see as many ideas and combinations that you all can come up with for the theme.

Do you know about cycling?
What is the ph of your tap water? Hardness?
Have you had aquariums before?
What equipment do you have for the tank?
What is the highest temperature that you could get?
And were you born on a tuesday?

Just kidding ignore the last one! :)

Your daughter would love platy and guppies, there cute and active. Maybe 2 platy, 3 guppies, and a snail or some ghost shrimp? Pretty nice tank. My 10g I'm soon to get is 5 female betta, 4 pygmy corydora, 2 african dwarf frogs, and 3 otocinclus vestitus. But I think your daughter would be better off with platy and guppies, they're cuter, easier to take care of, and VERY playful.

Last edited:
So I am doing a 10g fresh setup for my 5yo daughter's bday in August. I'm most likely putting it in either her playroom or bedroom. Either way from a spatial standpoint it's gonna have to be a 10g setup. I am looking for a peaceful hardy species that will be fun to watch for a young kid. I know that with a 10g setup I am limited to what I can put in it. Although I would like to go with more than 2 fish if possible. I have time before I make the stock purchase. So I would like to see as many ideas and combinations that you all can come up with for the theme.

A ten gallon will be great for your daughter! There is actually more that you can put in there than what you think!

When I was a 5 year old, I LOVED color and castles;) I would do some endlers or guppies. Both of those are great and colorful, just be careful with their breeding! You could also do some chili rasboras (super small and super red) and some dwarf shrimp. Those are all colorful. You could also do a dwarf gourami or sparkling gourami with some chilis or other nano fish like that. I guess that it depends on how big you want your fish! Another option, if you're daughter is more into exotic things (I would have been thrilled to have these as a kid!)... DWARF PUFFERS! You could do 2-3 dwarf puffers in the tank. They are very playful and full of energy. They take a little more care and effort but they would be amazing for any little girl:)

Good luck, and post pictures!

Do you know about cycling?
What is the ph of your tap water? Hardness?
Have you had aquariums before?
What equipment do you have for the tank?
What is the highest temperature that you could get?
And were you born on a tuesday?

Just kidding ignore the last one! :)

Well...I guess all of that would be helpful.:banghead: Only this is a bit of a hypothetical question. Considering I have no chemistry to go on as of yet, I wouldn't be able to get a complete answer. I'm guessing I should ask the question from more of a spatial standpoint rather than specific species combinations at this point in time since I am still a month or so away from my kids bday.

To answer the rest of the questions:
1.) I've had aquariums before its just been a LONG time...and to top it all off...my aquariums were mostly predator tanks and aquaculture tanks, but those were 15+ years ago.

2.) The equipment will be...
- Aqueon 16g Bowfront
- Aqueon 50w submersible heater
- Marineland Biowheel
- 50/50 fluorescent lighting

3.) Temperature range 68F to 88F

4.) Believe it or not I was born on a Tuesday!

A ten gallon will be great for your daughter! There is actually more that you can put in there than what you think!

When I was a 5 year old, I LOVED color and castles;) I would do some endlers or guppies. Both of those are great and colorful, just be careful with their breeding! You could also do some chili rasboras (super small and super red) and some dwarf shrimp. Those are all colorful. You could also do a dwarf gourami or sparkling gourami with some chilis or other nano fish like that. I guess that it depends on how big you want your fish! Another option, if you're daughter is more into exotic things (I would have been thrilled to have these as a kid!)... DWARF PUFFERS! You could do 2-3 dwarf puffers in the tank. They are very playful and full of energy. They take a little more care and effort but they would be amazing for any little girl:)

Good luck, and post pictures!

I will definitely post pics when it is all set up. I never thought about the dwarf puffers. I might have to look into one of those. Would they compatible with other fish or should a tank of that size be a strictly puffer setup...hypothetically speaking?

I will definitely post pics when it is all set up. I never thought about the dwarf puffers. I might have to look into one of those. Would they compatible with other fish or should a tank of that size be a strictly puffer setup...hypothetically speaking?

It would just be a puffer set up as they are very aggressive but they're fun enough that you don't realize that there are just two or three puffers. The only thing with them is that you would have to heavily plant the tank as they are easily bored. But I think your daughter would entertain them!

It would just be a puffer set up as they are very aggressive but they're fun enough that you don't realize that there are just two or three puffers. The only thing with them is that you would have to heavily plant the tank as they are easily bored. But I think your daughter would entertain them!

Now my little girl will want to put a couple princess or mermaid statues in it I'm assuming that may not be enough for a puffer tank. Therefore incorporating vegetation would be a sound idea? If that is the case...how much vegetation would we be talking about?

Sorry for all the questions...I am not used to this kind of setup. Predator tanks for bass (during research) and hydroponic tanks for tilapia and catfish are kind of plain.

Now my little girl will want to put a couple princess or mermaid statues in it I'm assuming that may not be enough for a puffer tank. Therefore incorporating vegetation would be a sound idea? If that is the case...how much vegetation would we be talking about?

Sorry for all the questions...I am not used to this kind of setup. Predator tanks for bass (during research) and hydroponic tanks for tilapia and catfish are kind of plain.

Yes vegetation is a must. I mean you want most of the tank planted. Here are some pictures of what my 5.5g tank looked like when I used to have my puffer (and I plan on putting one back in there soon enough).

img_2507468_0_53d441a67681dc988be71aec57a3c652.jpg

There are breaks in the sight of the tank. I plan on adding some more just to make sure that it is extra planted:). There are quite a few people on here that have puffer tanks, I'd do a search and look at them!

Yes vegetation is a must. I mean you want most of the tank planted. Here are some pictures of what my 5.5g tank looked like when I used to have my puffer (and I plan on putting one back in there soon enough).

img_2507498_0_53d441a67681dc988be71aec57a3c652.jpg

There are breaks in the sight of the tank. I plan on adding some more just to make sure that it is extra planted:). There are quite a few people on here that have puffer tanks, I'd do a search and look at them!

Thanks for that clarification. That helps a lot! I'll mill on it and take a look at my options.:thanks:

Yeah, no problem! I hope your daughter loves the tank!

Well if she doesn't I'd be shocked...this kid has been asking for one for more than a year.

Then again, it will be a blast because I've been wanting to get my feet back in the water for a long time, and having a little girl who is eager to be taught about fish and the care that goes along with them is just adding fuel to the fire (so to speak).

I think a guppy tank would be a great tank for a 5yo. She can stock it with castles and mermaids, and even pink gravel and plants :). Go with all male guppies (then there are no babies to worry about later) and I think you'd have a pretty fun tank. You could probaby house 5 or so guppies in a 10 gallon with good maintenance and water changes.
My niece has a simple 10 gallon with 3 guppies and a dwarf honey gourami. She is 7 now, but it's a perfectly girly tank, without the high maintenance of live plants and special feeding requirements, etc.

I think a guppy tank would be a great tank for a 5yo. She can stock it with castles and mermaids, and even pink gravel and plants :). Go with all male guppies (then there are no babies to worry about later) and I think you'd have a pretty fun tank. You could probaby house 5 or so guppies in a 10 gallon with good maintenance and water changes.
My niece has a simple 10 gallon with 3 guppies and a dwarf honey gourami. She is 7 now, but it's a perfectly girly tank, without the high maintenance of live plants and special feeding requirements, etc.

I agree. Well put.
:)

Back
Top Bottom