Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCDillon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there guys, I have a happy Gymnothorax tile moray in my 55. It is stocked with 2 large pieces of driftwood. One piece having a hollow hole through it and the other being propped up with rocks creating a massive cave underneath. I also have rocks on the top of these driftwood pieces as well as a rock cave that is seldom visited in one corner. So in other words I have built this tank up perfect for my eel and he seems to love it and is eating very well on raw shrimp, it's so crazy how he does his death roll when eating a bigger piece :D. My salinity is at 1.003 and I want it ideally at 1.008/10. The moray is very docile and will not even notice the 6 Gambusia and 1 ghost shrimp I have in the tank that have adapted to slight brackish.. though I know fish can be docile at first and then you will have an empty tank randomly one day. For now the moray is docile though but I have no intention of adding any type of small fish.

The point of this thread is just to give some suggestions for stocking. I do not really want many fish so 2/3 new additions would be fine. I am aware that dragon gobies can survive in full marine so would an eel and dragon goby be fine together? The goby would stay on the bottom obviously and most likely claim the pseudo driftwood/raised-cave, though I do have a couple of PVC cut pipes to throw in there for either fish. The eel seems to prefer getting on top of the driftwood in between all of the rocks on top of it, this isn't a limiting space as both driftwood pieces are touching each other.
Do dragon gobies need alot of clean space on the bottom to swim around? I am sure they do and I am aware of their hiding preferences but I am willing to remove the unoccupied cave in the corner which would open up a large amount of space on the bottom if the dragon does not want to feel cramped and I am sure he will appreciate that because they are a little derpy when finding food.

I would love to have these two and would feel fine with just these guys.. but I love cichlids so could one or two chromide be okay in there as well? I have had a few African and American cichlids over the years and am wondering if care is somewhat similar? As in they prefer caves? Not many plants? Just wondering is it's similar to the norm for cichlid care. I would prefer just one chromide and hope it does well by itself. I have read conflicting information in that they are good with slight brackish but can tolerate up to 1.012 so I suppose a general consensus would help.

These are the brackish fish I would really prefer and on top of that that I can actually find easy, the goby will be bought at LFS and chromide will be an online order from bluegrass. My salinity is low and I'm sure these fish are in freshwater so I can just acclimate them along with my moray. Of course any suggestions for other fish would be fine. Thanks!

bump?

Any brackish experts here? Any reputable brackish forums at least?

Thanks

I'm a little concerned about tank size. That eel can reach 24 inches in length.

It's very long-lived (30 years!). Wow, how can you know you'll be alive in 30 years to care for a species like this? Would scare me half to death. ;)

Back
Top Bottom