Stocking Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppygourami

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 26 gallon 30 inch long aquarium filtered with a 50 Aquaclear filter and I replace all filter media at different times. I haven't tested my waters frequently so I'll have to do that before I actually start adding new fish. My fish recovered from several fungal a couple of weeks ago but I haven't lost any or seen any sick ones for about a week or two already. I have a fake planted tank with one male guppy, two dwarf gouramis, one red eye tetra and one black skirt tetra who has been separated for the time being due to aggressiveness and nipping(returning that one SOON). My tank feels so lonely after the infection wiped out half my population:/. Suggestions on which fish I should get are welcome:D

Are you sure thats a 26 gallon? What are all the dimensions? I'm not familiar with any 26 gallon sizes that are 30 inches long...

Are you happy with the fish types you have now, or are you looking to change things around? If you like your Red Eye Tetra, he needs at least 4 other buddies to hang out with. That would be my first priority. After that, you still have a bit of room... What kinds of fish do you like?

thanks for visiting my post:) first of all, I am sure that it is a 26 gallon, I got it from a great store called Big Al's and I checked aqadvisor on the amount of gallons: 12 and 1/2 tall, 30 long and 15 as the width.

I do realize that my tetra numbers are off, I did have a couple others but the black skirt murdered them, due to wrong numbers. I'm returning the black skirt, red eye tetra and one of my male gouramis on Saturday and am hoping to get new fish.

I only have one guppy and I'm hoping to buy three more females and one more male to help the numbers. I was also thinking of getting platies because they are also live bearers and I've had them before. the beautiful fish unfortunately had Ich when I bought them and that's how most my fish does. I want to get two males and three females.

Are there any other fish I could get? I'm going to check aqadvisor as soon as I finish this reply. thanks again!

Are you sure thats a 26 gallon? What are all the dimensions? I'm not familiar with any 26 gallon sizes that are 30 inches long...

Are you happy with the fish types you have now, or are you looking to change things around? If you like your Red Eye Tetra, he needs at least 4 other buddies to hang out with. That would be my first priority. After that, you still have a bit of room... What kinds of fish do you like?

Sorry, I forgot to quote you before, my reply is above:)

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor....AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

here's the link to my tank! whoops, it's actually a 23 gallon :p which other fish can I add? would it be better to leave it at 73%? I like really colourful fish, I'd like to stay away from tetras and barbs though. are there any other colourful ones that might be fast? I also need cleaners but I don't know which ones to buy! I heard that guppies and platies tend to swim at the top, would ten be too many for the top of my tank? I wouldn't mind some middle swimmers:)

Thanks in advance!

:O can I add a ram or two? I saw that you have one with gouramis but since you have a 75 gallon, I'm guessing that affects having one. I've always wanted rams for my tank but heard that they could only be kept with cichlids.

also, can I buy different types of dwarf gouramis together? I currently have a Colisa lalia and I want to get flame dwarves:D they're beautiful

Platies and Electric/Gold/German Blue Rams like different water parameters sadly. Rams need very warm water (80F or higher) while Platies prefer water no warmer than 77F. You can adapt the platies to the higher temp, but it will shorten their lifespan.

Bolivians are the only ones that would work since they like the cooler temps and aren't as sensitive. You could do a pair of bolivians as long as you stay on top of water changes and ideally either add live plants or add another filter. They tend to stick to the bottom of the tank, so they would balance the other fish out nicely :)

If you go with Rams, I wouldn't add any more gourami than the ones you're already planning on adding. If you skip the rams, I wouldn't try mixing gourami unless they're in a group of 5 or more with no more than 1 male per 2 same species females. In my 75 I have 4 three spot gourami (various color morphs, but same species) and one pearl, but they're all females so they get along.

Platies and Electric/Gold/German Blue Rams like different water parameters sadly. Rams need very warm water (80F or higher) while Platies prefer water no warmer than 77F. You can adapt the platies to the higher temp, but it will shorten their lifespan.

Bolivians are the only ones that would work since they like the cooler temps and aren't as sensitive. You could do a pair of bolivians as long as you stay on top of water changes and ideally either add live plants or add another filter. They tend to stick to the bottom of the tank, so they would balance the other fish out nicely :)

If you go with Rams, I wouldn't add any more gourami than the ones you're already planning on adding. If you skip the rams, I wouldn't try mixing gourami unless they're in a group of 5 or more with no more than 1 male per 2 same species females. In my 75 I have 4 three spot gourami (various color morphs, but same species) and one pearl, but they're all females so they get along.

Maybe I'll get the Bolivians then. They're really pretty too. I'm hoping on heading to the fish store soon to get my gouramis but I'll stick to the same ones
I have:).And I think I will get the rams to add some more colour to my tank. I can't add another filter in so I'll get a couple live plants too. Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll go in about two hours. Any other fish I can add?

Actually I think I'm good! My stocking level is 84% but I still need my cleaners. Should I get plecostamus or cories? Which types? How many? I want to gather all the info I can get before I go to the store. I'm only going to get the guppies or the platies or two female gouramis (still returning the others) because don't want to stress everyone out.

Actually I think I'm good! My stocking level is 84% but I still need my cleaners. Should I get plecostamus or cories? Which types? How many? I want to gather all the info I can get before I go to the store. I'm only going to get the guppies or the platies or two female gouramis (still returning the others) because don't want to stress everyone out.

Stick to your current plan unless you plan on moderately planting the tank with fast growing plants. Rams need low nitrates, and adding a pleco or a school of cories would likely cause your nitrates to creep too high. If you add any cleaners, stick to nerite snails or 3 otos. Much lower bioloads. Don't add the otos until you have a nice healthy coat of biofilm for them to eat.

what is biofilm? I couldn't go to the fish store today due to a late notice. At least the gouramis are doing fine:)
I think I'll get the otos then, I've always wanted them. Do I need to get cleaners for my tank?

I change 50% water weekly in all my tanks since I stock fairly heavily and dose ferts for my plants. My nitrates never get above 10-15 between changes, but I do it anyways to avoid algae getting a foothold :)

Otos are cleaners, and biofilm is the thin layer of algae and slime that naturally coats all surfaces in an established tank. Otos eat this as well as left over food bits.

Turns out I already have biofilm in my tank! I forgot what to was called but had it examined. I know otos are cleaners but do I have to get any cleaners?

Cleaners aren't necessary if you don't overfeed and stay on top of your water changes. You may need to do the occasional ornament cleaning or glass scrubbing, but not much.

Back
Top Bottom