stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alex forde

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys.
I want to start a freshwater tropical aquarium. I'm thinking 100 litre. I want to stock it with a peaceful community of small colorful fish. How many different types of species can I stock, and how many of each?

Try some tetras... Have u cycled the tank by the way?

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I haven't bought the tank yet but it will probably be 100 litre and i will do a fishless cycle using the filter sponge from my 55 litre goldfish tank. Trying to get ideas on how many fish to put in it and how many different species

If you're looking for peaceful community fish, then I would definitely recommend guppies, endlers, platys, rainbowfish, rasboras, corydoras, gouramis, etc.
just make sure if you get a schooling species that you keep them in groups of AT LEAST five.

There isn't really a set rule as far as how many different species you can keep in the same tank, as long as their water condition needs are the same and they have enough space.

Tetras can be great community fish too, but I didn't list them previously because they tend to prefer more acidic water whereas the other species prefer their water to be more alkaline. I wouldn't recommend trying to keep tetras with some of the aforementioned species because it is impossible to create an environment that will be hospitable to all of them. They will become stressed. Not to mention certain species of tetras can be fin-nippers.

But, if you like the idea of having tetras, that opens up a whole other realm of possibilities.

My point is, really research what parameters are ideal for the species you are interested in (saltwater/brackish/freshwater, pH, temperature, etc.) and then find tank mates with similar needs. It will be much easier for you in the long run and your fish will live longer and will be happier than if you try to force them to adjust to different conditions than they are used to.

P.S. I can't recommend aqadvisor.com enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Depends on what you want really! I like the idea of putting small fish in a somewhat large tank, this gives the impression that the tank is even bigger. If you like this idea you might want to look into: corydoras pygmaeus, harlequin rasboras, dario dario.

Another idea would be to pick one centerpiece fish like a male betta or male gourami.. Make the tank nice and densely planted, add another shoal or 2 of peaceful fish and you're ready to go...
If you are affraid of betta's just pick a fast schooling fish, the betta won't catch up this way.

The possibilities are endless tho... If you like different tetra species, go with a tetra only tank etc.

Hope this helped, Sam out

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I haven't bought the tank yet but it will probably be 100 litre and i will do a fishless cycle using the filter sponge from my 55 litre goldfish tank. Trying to get ideas on how many fish to put in it and how many different species

Just a thought, you should probably upgrade your Goldfish first.

55liters is only 14.5g. That's way too small to be a Goldfish tank.

If you have Fancies the bare minimum would be 29g first fish and at least 10-20g additional for each fish after that. Bigger is even better.

Comets and Commons need to be in a pond.

This link has some compelling info.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418797599.376584.jpg

Enjoy your fish. Sorry to hijack your question. If your Goldfish isn't growing it's stunted...they grow VERY fast.

So perhaps get a big tank for the GF or a Rubbermaid tote and stock the 55litre with tropicals ??

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom