Stocking input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhit13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have two tanks. One is a 55 gallon standard freshwater and the second is a 40 gallon breeder tank. I THINK I am slightly overstocked on the 55 gallon. Would like some input on how to maximize both tanks. The 40b is currently empty and going through a fishless cycle. The 55 has the following stock (wich I can gladly divide up to maximize both)

5 white fin tetra ( four are glo fish variety)
3 black widow tetra
2 blood fin tetra
3 dalmation mollies
1 balloon molly
and 1 rubber lipped pleco
2 tiny rainbow shark
2 clow plecos (though Im not 100% sure ive been told acurately on these)
6 bronze (or albino cories)
3 peppered cories
and one rubber lipped pleco

would love any and all input

Last edited:
I think plecos and sharks may outgrow both tanks eventually. I am not completely sure though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am worried to death about the plecos. they told me they would only get 8 inches max, but they also told me they were young and that they were clown plecos but through research they are already the max size of a clown pleco. Ive been meaning to get some pics in hopes that someone can help me identify them for sure. The albino rainbow sharks are only supposed to get to 6 inches from what ive read. Though I have read I should split them up. Wouldnt this be a good size for either aquarium? If not Ill def return them. I want to get a grip on my stocking now as opposed to later. Ive only been at this for a month and Im very addicted already but ive also followed some very bad advice from Petsmart employees as well as another lfs in the area.

I am not super experienced w fresh water "shark" I just know many need way lore room than most aquariums offer. Maybe someone else can weigh in. My pleco exp is they get bigger than LFS says. And become more of a load than a benefit.

I currently have two tanks. One is a 55 gallon standard freshwater and the second is a 40 gallon breeder tank. I THINK I am slightly overstocked on the 55 gallon. Would like some input on how to maximize both tanks. The 40b is currently empty and going through a fishless cycle. The 55 has the following stock (wich I can gladly divide up to maximize both)

3 black widow tetra
2 blood fin tetra
3 dalmation mollies
1 balloon molly
2 tiny rainbow shark
3 peppered cories

I would definitely consider moving either all the corys to the 40b or the plecos.. that's a lot of bottom buddies in one tank, probably leave the shark in the 55, maybe move the mollys to the 40b?? Also.. why not seed the new tank? Instant cycle..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not quite instant cycle. Still have to watch parameters.

I would definitely consider moving either all the corys to the 40b or the plecos.. that's a lot of bottom buddies in one tank, probably leave the shark in the 55, maybe move the mollys to the 40b?? Also.. why not seed the new tank? Instant cycle..

I was actually thinking just that, or one pleco per tank and splitting the cories up? Well again because i dont know what I was doing and following bad advice my 55 is not fully cycled yet (though its getting very close now) so I wasnt sure how safe or effective it is to seed from that tank to the new one. I def intend to use that avenue once it is fully cycled.

Keep cories together.

I would consider rehoming plecos unless you are sure they are dwarf species. Cories in large groups are so fun

I would consider rehoming plecos unless you are sure they are dwarf species. Cories in large groups are so fun

No such thing as a dwarf pleco, some stay under 6:?? Would hardly call that dwarf though, op doesn't need to rehome anything. . Just shuffle is all.

I have to agree, I do love watching all the cories together. The lfs said these particular plecos only get to 8 inches. IF that is correct my thoughts were one in each tank.

I was more saying dwarf as in one that stays smaller than commons and most other plecos which get quite large in my experience.

I just think an eight inch fish will have difficulty navigating the forty. But this is just my observations. My exp w plecs is they get too big for tanks under 75 gallons.

thanks , i appreciate that input. This has been a big concern of mine. I may have to find a new home for both of them. Its a shame too as Ive kind of grown fond of them. Ive nicknamed them grumpy and gloomy

Both pleco ' s max out around 5". Of you like them keep them! I have a L134 in a 40b

If they won't get over five inches you should be good. I would just wait and see

Yeah, thats really all I can do as far as those guys go. There prob close to four inches now. they really are pretty fish, and def have there own personalities.

Just wait and see. May be the excuse for your next tank one day.

3 black widow tetra
2 blood fin tetra
3 dalmation mollies
1 balloon molly
2 tiny rainbow shark
3 peppered cories

Personally, I'd keep all of tetras and cories together and separate the sharks as they won't get along together with age. The plecos won't grow very large but keep the clowns together. As for the mollies, keep them separate from the tetras because they prefer harder water and may need a little salt if health issues arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That makes sense to me and is pretty well along my line of thinking. I have had another question come up as I'm really trying to study the all the fish I'm interesting in adding once I get all this worked out. A lot of fish profiles say to keep with similiar size fish. Now obviously I know the difference in an 8 inch fish and a 2 inch shouldnt go together, but what about something like a Blue Gourami (says five inches) with smaller tetras like 2 inchers. is this too big a difference?

Back
Top Bottom