Stocking more fish in a 28 gallon bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purestar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,
So, I do believe my tank has cycled and I’d like to get some thoughts on how many extra fish I can safely add. Current stock is: 1 male betta, 7 neon tetras, 5 black neon tetras, 6 albino corydoras. I’d really like to add 2 bolivian rams (M+F). Would I also have space for a few more tetras? It’d be nice to have slightly bigger schools. Right now all fish, except the betta are juveniles.
The tank is currently planted with water wisteria, java fern, and annubias.
Is there anything I can do to increase capacity—like adding an air pump/bubbler (not too much for the bettas sake)?
I am familiar with the 1 inch per gallon rule, but am wondering if with more frequent water changes, I can add more? (say weekly or is this too much?):fish2:

The inch per gallon rule is inaccurate in most cases. It does not take into consideration territorial needs, aggression issues, or bioloads.

As for water changes, most folks do about 50% per week.

I will leave the stocking issue for others to answer. Although I would think a pair of rams should be ok, I've never kept them so I'm not positive of their needs right off hand.

Hey all,
So, I do believe my tank has cycled and I’d like to get some thoughts on how many extra fish I can safely add. Current stock is: 1 male betta, 7 neon tetras, 5 black neon tetras, 6 albino corydoras. I’d really like to add 2 bolivian rams (M+F). Would I also have space for a few more tetras? It’d be nice to have slightly bigger schools. Right now all fish, except the betta are juveniles.
The tank is currently planted with water wisteria, java fern, and annubias.
Is there anything I can do to increase capacity—like adding an air pump/bubbler (not too much for the bettas sake)?
I am familiar with the 1 inch per gallon rule, but am wondering if with more frequent water changes, I can add more? (say weekly or is this too much?):fish2:

I'd up the black neon count and add a centerpiece fish that doesn't live in the bottom. But with a betta, that's very hard. I'd add a few more black neons and call it good

I'd really like to add the rams if possible. From what I've read, they are quite peaceful, and I don't think my friendly little cories would mind their occupying some space in the bottom of the tank. I'd be more worried about adding a centre piece fish which might invade some of the bettas space, although he is one pretty chill guy... usually hangs out resting on my floating plants or exploring/resting on the bottom for brief periods of time.

Anyone else have any opinion on a pair of Bolivians and more tetras?

Thanks in advance!

I'd really like to add the rams if possible. From what I've read, they are quite peaceful, and I don't think my friendly little cories would mind their occupying some space in the bottom of the tank. I'd be more worried about adding a centre piece fish which might invade some of the bettas space, although he is one pretty chill guy... usually hangs out resting on my floating plants or exploring/resting on the bottom for brief periods of time.

Anyone else have any opinion on a pair of Bolivians and more tetras?

Thanks in advance!

Can I have a picture of your set up. I've had a total of 6 rams before (2 Bolivian and 4 rams). Currently I have 3 rams in a 28 gallon bowfront and I can't see having cories with them. There's just not room.

Here is my tank...

As an aside, my cories are more often swimming all over the place than resting or foraging on the bottom. Maybe they're just young, but I've never seen such exuberance in a fish! LOL.

Attachments

• DSC_0608.jpg
    DSC_0608.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 101
Back
Top Bottom