stocking! need adivce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iains

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, My new tank should be here thursday. i'll be needing to figure out what kind of fish and everything i want. The tank is a 36 gal bowfront. I have a few cichlids now in a dif. tank. I might add a bunch of cichlids into the new tank eventually. do cichlids do okay with plants? I NEED YOU'RE ADIVCE WITH THIS. thanks,

iain

south american cichlids (angels, rams, etc...) do very well with plants. African cichlids can be a little more difficult but with some good planning it can be a very nice setup.

Isn't this the tank you asked about with the 2 JDs and the 2 jewels? I don't know about the jewels, but IME the JDs will probably tear up most plants, or at least uproot them.

You really shouldn't add any other fish to the tank at this point. The cichlids you have already will quickly outgrow the tank. You may run in to some serious aggression problems with the fish you have (I can't say for sure since I am not familiar with jewels) so adding more would only complicate things.

Jewels are very aggressive and will rip up plants. They dont get that big however. I would think two by themselves in a 36 gallon would work well. I had a pair breed in a 30 gallon tank.

Yeah, I thought that the jewels stayed kinda small, and I've also heard that they are really aggressive. My comment was directed more at the JDs, it just wasn't very clear. :p The JDs will get pretty huge and will probably outgrow a 36 gal in a matter of a few months.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom