Stocking/ new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam.calhoun123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys at this very second my brand new 30 gallon tank is cycling!So exciting! As I was looking through all my stocking options I was wondering how to start, as I do need the fish to produce enough ammonia for the system not to starve! (Don't worry I am doing a fish less cycle though!!)

Fish I was wishing to include in stocking options were possibly a small/dwarf version of a pleco? For sure corys! And then a school of tetras. And then I really love the blue gouramis! What are my options? And what should I take into account as I stock this aquarium!

All advice on starting a brand new 30 gallon/ decorating a 30 gallon / or stocking a 30 gallon are appreciated greatly!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

IMO, I wouldn't put a gourami in with tetras, unless you go for the dwarf gouramis. There are several types of plecos that don't grow overly large, most under 10.00. Rubberlip and bristlenose to name only a couple. I'm a fan of zebra plecos, but they're pricey: usually over 250.00. Most types of corys will do fine, as most don't reach 3". Pygmy corys only get to 1", and several, like Julii corys only get to about 1 1/2". Just remember that both tetras and corys like to be in schools, so at least 5 or 6 of each. Are you going with a planted tank, or artificial?

which is better? (Planted or artificial) I have gravel on the bottom now, I was interested in sand but was lead towards gravel because of cleaning issues.

I can't say which is better. I have 2 tanks that are partially planted with easy care plants, mixed with natural looking artificial plants. All my tanks are natural gravel substrate. I can tell you that the planted tanks need cleaned less often than the tanks with no live plants, as the live plants feed from many contaminants and even solid waste in the water. I can also say that I have a school of neon tetras (about 18-20) in my part live/part artificial community tank, which looks heavily planted, and they look spectacular against the planted background.

Back
Top Bottom