stocking options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garth7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I have had my tank cycled for about a week now. I have been feeding it regularly but have yet to find the time to get my fish. Next week is going to be a time when I can sit and research and find the fish I want. In the mean time I was considering the following:

Platties
Mollies
Swordtails
Angel fish
Cory Cats
some type of schooling fish

I have no idea on amounts of these fish. I would like to eventually have the angel's the focus of the tank. (Maybe see if I could get a mating pair). I figured I would start with some platies first to start to build the bio load.

I have a 55 gal tank that is moderately planted with live plants (was that redundant?) I guess what I am looking for is advice on a stocking schedual (what fish in what order) and some advice on amounts of fish.

Doug

for the angels it is hard to sex them, and an already proven matted pair would be expensive, it would be easier and cheaper in the long run to pick up 4-6 young angels, then you should get at least one of each sex. a pair should eventually form and you can move the extra angels to another tank, sell them or return them to a lfs. a 55 is only big enough for 1 pair of angels IME.

the mollies IME do better with some salt/brackish conditions and the angels and corries with not like the salt so i would rethink the mollies if i was you.

i would recommend either a small school of tetra like rummynoses or cardinals..or maybe some zebra danios..

i would suggest a couple of smaller algae eaters like ottos or a small pleco species.

maybe also a pair of dwarf cichlids (GBR, Bolivians, Apistos)

HTH

I have been reading about the mollies with salt. Is this true with all the livebearers? (Platties and swordtails)??? I thought about the tetra family as well. I will have to research some more into them though. Should I put a certain fish in before the others?

Thanks again,
Doug

I would put your schooling fish in first for a couple of reasons.

1. I recommend some sort of tetra (not neons as they may be eaten by the angels that you want) like glo-light, rummynose, basically something that is going to withstand your initial break in period. I am not sure if rummynose are your best option to start with though as I have no idea how hardy they are.

2. A schooling fish will not take up any particular territory in the tank so adding "territorial" fish later will be easier

If I were you I would listen and go along with Jdogg's suggestion about some small algae eaters. I recommend 6-8 or more ottos because they get only about an inch long at adulthood and they do a good job with controlling algae. You WILL want something fast since you have a planted tank and you should do whatever you can to get rid of competing algae before it becomes a problem.

If you want a pleco I would recommend 2 bushynose plecos or 2 rubberlips. I have 2 BN in my 55 gallon and they are all over the place. The bad things about them are that they can knock over plants and the excrete a TON of watse. On the plus side they do a good job of algae control and stay small, growing about 4.5 inches max (for the BN plecos).

bs6749 said:
I would put your schooling fish in first for a couple of reasons.

1. I recommend some sort of tetra (not neons as they may be eaten by the angels that you want) like glo-light, rummynose, basically something that is going to withstand your initial break in period. I am not sure if rummynose are your best option to start with though as I have no idea how hardy they are.
not as much of an issue if he does a fish-less cycle.
2. A schooling fish will not take up any particular territory in the tank so adding "territorial" fish later will be easier

If I were you I would listen and go along with Jdogg's suggestion about some small algae eaters. I recommend 6-8 or more ottos because they get only about an inch long at adulthood and they do a good job with controlling algae. You WILL want something fast since you have a planted tank and you should do whatever you can to get rid of competing algae before it becomes a problem.

If you want a pleco I would recommend 2 bushynose plecos or 2 rubberlips. I have 2 BN in my 55 gallon and they are all over the place. The bad things about them are that they can knock over plants and the excrete a TON of watse. On the plus side they do a good job of algae control and stay small, growing about 4.5 inches max (for the BN plecos).
i personaly prefer the rubberlips..they ar more attractive imo

I think i will try the ottos first. They should add to the existing bio load and help increase this. Then I think Im either going to go with the cories or the tetras. Not sure wich. Then the angels.

Any word on the livebearers (swords and platties and etc)? Are they all like the mollies where they would be lots better off in brackish water?

garth7 said:
I think i will try the ottos first.
is your tank full cycled? otos are pretty sensitive...and unless you already have algae growth they will starve...my otos do not tuch algae wafers or veg...
They should add to the existing bio load and help increase this. Then I think Im either going to go with the cories or the tetras. Not sure wich. Then the angels.

Any word on the livebearers (swords and platties and etc)? Are they all like the mollies where they would be lots better off in brackish water?
i have never had good luck with swords or platties but as far as i know they do not need salt...

Thanks for the info on the ottos. Right now I do not have algea in my tank. The tank has been cycled. 0ammonia and 0 nitrates after feeding it for a month. I did a fishless cycle with fish food.

I am just trying to take the advice I could never follow, take it slow. Half the fun is this forum!!!! I may try the platties and let you know.

Thanks for the info.

Doug

garth7 said:
Thanks for the info on the ottos. Right now I do not have algea in my tank. The tank has been cycled. 0ammonia and 0 nitrates after feeding it for a month.

Doug
how about nitrites...

you are going to want at least 20 ppm nitrates (NO3) if you plan to have plants...

I meant nitrites not nitrates. I have a level just over 20 ppm on nitrates right now. Sorry about the goof up.

garth7 said:
I meant nitrites not nitrates. I have a level just over 20 ppm on nitrates right now. Sorry about the goof up.
lol common mistake, just though i would check :wink:

Back
Top Bottom