Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all!

The fish I want to get for a 55 gallon aquarium have different hardiness levels, so I want to know which fish I could put in first in a newly cycled tank.

Here are the wanted fish:
5 Australian Rainbow fish
1 Rainbow Shark
2 freshwater Angelfish
-- I welcome all questions, comments, and criticisms for this post. --
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the ashes shall rise a Phoenix.

Are you putting in a school of tetras I would put them in first because they would last the spikes that are often after cycling. I would add the tetras couple weeks later add the rainbows than a couple weeks later the angels then quite a while later the shark so the angel will show it what its territory is.

You couls add black skirts for tetras that what i recommend at lest six.

Thing is, the fish I only originally planned to get will overstock the tank by themselves. I simply do not have room to house those extra fish! I need some fish to help me cycle the tank, but I WILL NOT have to do large water changes twice a week because I overstocked the tank! Is there any other tetras that are small that I can keep??

I have a hang-on-back filter. Nothing very fancy. I am able to do a 50% once a week if required. Do you have experience with ALL the fish I have mentioned??

I agree...I'd add some tetras..Black Skirts are very hardy fish and pretty cheap.
I currently have 8 Eastern Australian Rainbows, 10 Black Skirts, and 3 baby Angels along with a ton of other fish in my 150g planted.

What exactly did you want to get that would overstock your tank?

I missed the comment about tetras...

Black skirts are about 2 inches or so.
Black Skirt Tetra Gymnocorymbus ternetzi aquarium tropical fish from Tropical Fish and Aquariums

Pristella Tetra's are about 1.5 inches. Very hardy fish as well. They were the first fish I stocked in my planted tank. Haven't lost 1.
Pristella Tetra Pristella maxillaris aquarium tropical fish from Tropical Fish and Aquariums

Neons are are very small but I'm not sure about the hardiness. I lost quite a few because they got into my overflows and ended up in my sump. The angles when they get bigger will probably eat them so they wouldn't be a good option in the long run.

Harlequin Rasbora are about 2 inches or so. Hardy fish. nice to look at as well.
Harlequin Rasbora, Trigonostigma heteromorpha aquarium tropical fish from Tropical Fish and Aquariums

Yeah, I probably will get some black skirts... the fish that I will get are:
1 Rainbow Shark
2 (freshwater) Angelfish
6 Black Skirt Tetras

Won't that overstock a 55 gallon tank??

Yeah, I probably will get some black skirts... the fish that I will get are:
1 Rainbow Shark
2 (freshwater) Angelfish
6 Black Skirt Tetras

Won't that overstock a 55 gallon tank??

No no no no lol. Do you know what your filter is rated? gph wise or for what size tank?

That will not overstock a 55. I will be putting this in mine

2 angels
2 bn pleco
3 dwarf gouramies
1 kissing gourami
8 black skirts
6 boesemani rainbows

Not really. I got it off Craigslist a while ago. Just some Tetra brand hang-on-back filter. Pretty huge though. Do I seriously need those really expensive canister filters?

Last edited:
For a 55 with just tropical fish you could easily get away with a HOB...you could get 2 if you wanted to be extra safe.

You could get a canister if you wanted but def not needed with what you want to stock.

phoenixkiller said:
Ok, awesome! I have a filter with 2 cartridges.

Okay, then it's most likely okay. I'll look into it some.
But you def aren't overstocked so don't worry. If anything just buy another filter and you can stock more as long as you are over filtering

Back
Top Bottom