Stocking recommendations for my new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malfist

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello Everyone! I just upgraded to a 55 gallon tank and it's finished cycling so it's time to start stocking it (after a stay in the quarantine tank of course). However I'm not really sure what I should stock it with. I like big fish with lots of color, schools of smaller fish are nice too, but I'd rather have flashy larger fish.

The tank is freshwater, and says at 72-75 degrees fahrenheit. I have a heater, but it's not in use. I currently have three fish in it: a pleco, a black moor (goldfish), and a three striped african glass catfish.

What would be ideal for my tank?

What type of pleco?
You shouldnt house goldies and Tropicals together because of temp differences

I wasn't aware of that when I started, but I was made aware of that today. They've been happy, I've had both fish for more than a year in the same tank together (in a 10 gallon nonetheless).

The pleco is a hypostomus.

Eclipse catfish might work, once they get big they look really cool! But must be kept with similiar sized fish or the others could get eaten. I also like rainbow sharks! They get about 6 inches and look really cool. But I think a bala shark would be the perfect fish. For smaller fish a school of neon tetras and glow fish would be cool and really flashy! But whatever you get make sure your fish are compatible with each other. Hope this helped and good luck! :)

The rainbow sharks and eclipse catfish look really cool, but they are simi-aggressive. I'm concerned that might be an issue.

I really like the bala sharks, how many should I get?

No bala sharks they need 6 foot tanks minimum I would just get a rainbow shark and think of some other schooling fish

Also you need to rehome the Pleco and goldfish if you want tropicals the Pleco because it's gonna reach 18 inches and is a waste producing machine why not get a bristlenose Pleco instead.

I think you have the wrong fish on the sign at the store it says 6 inches for catfish but the biggest I've seen on youtube is about 8 inch. But I could be wrong

What store is it petsmart go to planetcatfish.com and find sun catfish the true name for eclipse catfish

No Bala sharks at all unless you want a 125
If you've got a 150 then we'll give tankmates suggestions
The bristlenose pleco is a good idea- longfins are very pretty

Maybe some angel fish or a black knife fish. But the knife fish might get too big for a 55

I just google searched it and the largest I saw was about 12 thats about the same size I saw on youtube. But I guess it could get to 18 with the right size tank

I would prefer to keep the pleco and goldfish in the same tank. I really don't want to maintain two tanks full time.

Maybe some angel fish or a black knife fish. But the knife fish might get too big for a 55

My research indicates that the Black Glass Knifefish is too aggressive, eating any smaller fish placed in the tank. Although they do seem to be a pretty cool fish :(

My research indicates that the Black Glass Knifefish is too aggressive, eating any smaller fish placed in the tank. Although they do seem to be a pretty cool fish :(
and ya know,the fact that they get massive. try rehoming everything,and getting a rainbowshark,some jewel cichlids,and an awesomely huge school of tetras

I had a knife fish for a while. It was really cool but my oscar ate it lol. But yeah go with a rainbow shark they are pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom