Stocking suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With a name like bichir bro, I'd think you'd be a little more knowledgeable on bichirs... hes got it in a 40 gal, a 75 gal would be more appropriate. Not to mention he'll have a few snacks in there with that current stock as he grows. And any schooling fish that someone could fit in a 40 gal will more than likely become dinner for the bichir as well.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hm didn't see this. Well while a 75 would be very nice its certainly not needed. Polypterus Senegalus Senegalus will not grow over 12" in the largest of aquaria, rarely over 10" in the sizes most commonly kept. A 55 is a perfect size to keep a Senegalus for his entire life and if I'm not mistaken Rocky has already said he has plans to get a 55. Also with Polypterus Senegalus being probably the most peaceful of the Bichirs they will rarely eat any fish. Not to mention the fish he's got, and potentially will get. The fish id be most worried about is either the Rams (unless they're full grown then even when the Bichir is full grown they can coexist perfectly) or the Pleco again depending on size. I'm very well versed on Bichirs and believe me I would've said hey yo Rocky what say you upgrade to a 55, but I've done this in the past. I have every belief that he will care for the Bichir it's entire life and meet every need it may have, including its potential size.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hm didn't see this. Well while a 75 would be very nice its certainly not needed. Polypterus Senegalus Senegalus will not grow over 12" in the largest of aquaria, rarely over 10" in the sizes most commonly kept. A 55 is a perfect size to keep a Senegalus for his entire life and if I'm not mistaken Rocky has already said he has plans to get a 55. Also with Polypterus Senegalus being probably the most peaceful of the Bichirs they will rarely eat any fish. Not to mention the fish he's got, and potentially will get. The fish id be most worried about is either the Rams (unless they're full grown then even when the Bichir is full grown they can coexist perfectly) or the Pleco again depending on size. I'm very well versed on Bichirs and believe me I would've said hey yo Rocky what say you upgrade to a 55, but I've done this in the past. I have every belief that he will care for the Bichir it's entire life and meet every need it may have, including its potential size.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I sure will! Also not sure if u remember but remember when I said he wouldn't stop swimming around the tank... Well he majorly calmed down and is now settled in one cave! Also, the bichir is 6 inches right now so it still has plenty of room to swim in my opinion

I've never suggested this before, may never again.. what about tiger barbs? Seems like your tank would be well suited for a band of punks.. let everyone know they arnt breakfast, lunch or dinner..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never suggested this before, may never again.. what about tiger barbs? Seems like your tank would be well suited for a band of punks.. let everyone know they arnt breakfast, lunch or dinner..

I've had tiger barbs in there before.. A group of 6-8. Entire colony got wiped out by something..... Know one knew from what. I would wake up each morning and find another pair dead with bite marks on some.

I've had tiger barbs in there before.. A group of 6-8. Entire colony got wiped out by something..... Know one knew from what. I would wake up each morning and find another pair dead with bite marks on some.

Welp. Scratch that idea haha

Congo tetras

They school nicely

$18 total? I think they're around $6 each.

Atleast 7

I wouldn't be so worried about the cost... But I really don't want them to get eaten by my ctenopoma to eat them.... I've feed him feeder fish before

What size are the small ones? Maybe some.black skirt or red eyed tetras? Anything that's gets 3" and semi aggressive should work. I was looking at my lfs and the red eyed looked cool, almost like Rummy nosed but bigger and fatter

What size are the small ones? Maybe some.black skirt or red eyed tetras? Anything that's gets 3" and semi aggressive should work. I was looking at my lfs and the red eyed looked cool, almost like Rummy nosed but bigger and fatter

Yea I've had red eyed tetras before worked pretty good. Might go to petsmart for them? since there usually dirt cheap and have a 2 week warranty. Also this is coming out of no where but could I add a pair of blue rams? But since I have Bolivians I'm not sure

I wouldn't add blue rams to that tank, i also wouldn't use petsmart stock with out a 2 week qt with paraguard.

I wouldn't add blue rams to that tank, i also wouldn't use petsmart stock with out a 2 week qt with paraguard.

The petsmart I go to offers that and I use to have a 40 gal with all diffrent types of schools of tetras!!! Last 3 years before they died... All got to 4 inches! So I might do that again I mean I have a lot of medicines and stress relieves and all that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom