Stow away on plant from LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got back from the LFS, ready to put my crypt plant in my neon tank, and there is a fish gasping at the bottom of the bag! About 2 inches long, drab color, has a somewhat "loachey" appearance to it. Feeling sorry for it, I dump it in my main tank. Will post pic when I can get one. Wonder what it is.

Well, I can't get a pic, this fish is avoiding the camera. But I flipped through my Axelrod mini and the closest match I have seen so far is a Skunk Botia Loach, or Botia morleti .

This is no little fish. It musta been stuffed into the central part of the crypt plant when it was taken out. Poor guy, survived a side trip to burger king, walgreens, and home with only a few drops of water.

OK, got a few fuzzy pics, this fish does not like the camera. but here they are. A skunk botia, correct? Botia Morleti?

Attachments

• loach_102.jpg
    loach_102.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 24
  • loach2.jpg
    loach2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 54
  • loach3.jpg
    loach3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 24
poor little loachy! he must have a very strong will to live! i'm sure you'll take good care of him--he desrves it after his ordeal ;) and he didn't even get burger king out of the deal! sheesh!

Think it will cause any trouble with my existing stock? Elmers website puts it in with the more nippy kind of fish, no slow movers. I was wondering if it would bother my Angels.

I never had a Loach before.

they are primarily bottom feeders. i don't know much about this type of loach, but my yoyos, kubotais and clowns rarely bother my other fish, and don't stray much above the middle of the tank. occasionally my 5" clown will get in a shoving match with my 6" cae, but that's about it.

I got 3 of those little guys, skunk loaches. They are really neat. And they do better with 3 or more, might just want to get a couple more. They are cool, I really like them.

be careful when you take stuff like driftwood out. a couple times they popped out the driftwood and ended up on the floor.

also they have some really sharp spines.. so..

Toirtis said:
Thats a pretty funky stowaway....I am pretty positive all I have ever had sneak in on plants are snails.

same here, got the clowns for just that reason. I still find the odd survivor that was hiding in the substrate (they aren't MTS either, not quite sure what they are.. they get a calcified shell..)

cool find, and yes it definately has a will to live.

got 3 of those little guys, skunk loaches. They are really neat. And they do better with 3 or more, might just want to get a couple more. They are cool, I really like them.
Ahhh, so perhaps this was no stowaway afterall? Just a plot by the LFS to get me back there for two more!

TomK2 said:
got 3 of those little guys, skunk loaches. They are really neat. And they do better with 3 or more, might just want to get a couple more. They are cool, I really like them.
Ahhh, so perhaps this was no stowaway afterall? Just a plot by the LFS to get me back there for two more!

yup.... (y)

I think he is really interesting (just got new loaches myself). If you like him you could see how he goes for a few days and add 2 more skunk loaches to keep him company.

Back
Top Bottom