Strange behavior from Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christian_cowgirlGSR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! I could use some advice on my Dalmation Molly. She is about 3 years old. This morning, I noticed that she was wobbling as she swam. She was always upright, but she wasn't using her side fins and would wobble as she swam (kinda like a top wobbles before it falls over). This afternoon, I found her laying on the bottom of the tank, a behavior that is VERY unusual for her. Except for the odd behavior, I see nothing visibly wrong with her. Also in the tank are 3 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 3 Zebra danios, and one apple snail, all of which look fine and are acting normal. For plants, I have Saggitaria subulata, anubias barter var nana, java moss, nymphae stellata, and and some assorted aponogeton bulbs.

When I noticed her strange behavior, I tested the water (I use the Quick Dip strips from Wal-mart). The results are:
Nitrates: 20ppm (this is normal - I have NEVER had these strips say 0 nitrates)
Nitrites: 0ppm
Alkalinity: between 120 and 180
pH: between 7.2 and 7.8.

For those of you who may wonder, the tank has been set up since October 2011. I cycled the tank using filter and gravel from an established tank. And slowly added fish once the tank had cycled.

I have been battling a problem with planaria since I set up the tank and recently realized that it could be caused by too much light, so I downgraded from 1 15W bulb and one 10W flourescent bulb to 2 (15W) bulbs. 2-3 days ago, I vacuumed the gravel and did a 30-40% water change. I also changed the filter media. My husband and I moved recently (about a month ago), so I had to move my fish tank, but moving the tank went well, and I didn't lose any fish as a result of the move.

Do you think she's just getting old or do you think there's something I can do for her? If so, what can I do?

Those quick dip strips arent really the best to use when testing, very inaccurate. I would recommend you to go and get liquid test kit. Other than that, I cant tell what's wrong. When was the last time you did a water change

I did a partial water change 2 or 3 days ago. For the liquid test kits, where can I get them? We don't have an LFS anywhere near here, and I don't believe Wal-Mart carries anything but the test strips.

Do you have a local Petsmart or Petco? They do carry them for around $30 - $40. If not, go online and order online ( I recommend getting the API master test kit). For now, maybe try doing a partial water change once a day and see if that helps.

Thank you for the response! Wal-Mart is the only pet store/fish store anywhere within a decent driving distance. I'll try the water changes and let you know if that works.

Back
Top Bottom