Strange Behavior from my Swordtail...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BassSoLow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Back in December, I got a 10 gallon tank. The first fish I got was a Swordtail.

Two weeks ago, I made the jump to a 29 gallon tank. The tank cycled perfectly and all water testing has been perfect. I have continued weekly water changes as well. Usually changing about 30% of the water.

Over the past few days, my Swordtail has been laying very low amd acting lethargic. His color is good. He doesn't have any strange spots or markings. He just kind of lays in one spot behind a lava rock near the air stone. Also noticed today that when I fed the fish this morning he did not eat. Just stayed hidden.

Normally he has been very energetic and is usually fairly lively, so it worries me that he is acting this way.

As a side note...I did add other fish to the tank once it cycled. Im not sure if maybe he is scared of the new fish or what.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

When prompted he moves and swims just fine.

PH 7.6
High Range PH 7.4
Amonia .25 ppm
Nitrates 40 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm

Sorry about your swordtail. When a a tank is cycled it doesn't have any ammonia (reading of 0). How long did your tank remain with a reading for ammonia? Or did it always have one? If so, he could have become sick from the ammonia levels or died of stress because of the constant exposure.

Yeah. Tested my amonia levels again today. Still at .25 ppm. So I did a 25% water change and used a little extra prime. I will test again tomorrow.

Originally, I switxhed from a 10 gallon tank to the 29 that I have now. This was 3 weeks ago. I switched over the gravel from the 10 gallon, but didn't know that I should have used the filter media from the old tank too. I did have my water tested a week after the switch at my local aquatics store and he said everything was good. So I added more fish.

Obviously that wasnt the case...since I added new fish and the tank had not cycled I ended up losing a bunch of fish and basically had to treat this tank as a newly cycling tank.

Yeah. Tested my amonia levels again today. Still at .25 ppm. So I did a 25% water change and used a little extra prime. I will test again tomorrow.

Originally, I switxhed from a 10 gallon tank to the 29 that I have now. This was 3 weeks ago. I switched over the gravel from the 10 gallon, but didn't know that I should have used the filter media from the old tank too. I did have my water tested a week after the switch at my local aquatics store and he said everything was good. So I added more fish.

Obviously that wasnt the case...since I added new fish and the tank had not cycled I ended up losing a bunch of fish and basically had to treat this tank as a newly cycling tank.

That's okay. I've made those mistakes as well. Wait until this tank cycles through, which shouldn't take long, and then start over. Sorry about your loss, but for the future choose wisely who to listen too at your lfs. Some of them know what they're talking about, and others are just there to make a sale. Good luck with your new tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom