Strange creature among algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilxxwojo1

Aquarium Advice Regular
We saw this among some algae... It looks like antennas sticking up. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• image-2032864375.jpg
    image-2032864375.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 224
  • image-3360028227.jpg
    image-3360028227.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 215
looks like a mantis shrimp. They can kill fish and crack glass. Get him out.

Haha ya thats a mean lil guy. Dont worry about him cracking glass, it doesnt happen bery often. The real danger is that he will kill all of your inverts and small fish :0

Lilxxwojo1 said:
Thank you I have a friend coming to get him out

Have him be very careful,..they can really kick out those front arms like a kangaroo kicking out their feet,!!!

Although bad news in a community aquarium, I think they make great single species tanks. Read up on these guys, they're fascinating. If you don't want him, take him to the LFS.

herp_mommy said:
Although bad news in a community aquarium, I think they make great single species tanks. Read up on these guys, they're fascinating. If you don't want him, take him to the LFS.

Yes i totally agree. They are really amazing, i would seriously set up a 10 gallon tank for him! If you dont keep him, please dont flush him. Lol

Agreed. They are amazing creatures and would be an awesome in a species only tank. Careful though the force behind their Strike is the same as the force behind a .22 caliber bullet when it's shot. They can lay your finger open big time.

I watched a program last night on Nat Geo that was all about Mantis. They were studying the speed and force of its strike. It creates a cavitation in the water, that makes a sonic bubble at the point of the strike!! The strike is so powerful and fast that it creates LIGHT!!!! I couldn't believe it. It also creates a burst of heat that they rated similar to the sun, very small and short mind you.
That strike creates a sonic cavitation, heat, and light, it is so strong. It's strike happens in 2 milliseconds and has force upwards of 300 pounds per square inch. Stronger than most sharks!
Have your friend be careful, like Dary said!!
They are an amazing creature.
Ohh and these were National Geographic funded scientists, not a couple bumpkins.

Haha saw a video on YouTube one time of one of these guys fighting a snowflake eel! He'd punch out his arms and hit him on the nose and the mantis shrimp ended up chasing the snowflake eel away! Can't find it anymore! Must've been removed for some reason?
My lfs has a 6 gal setup with just one of these an I go in there all the time and have only seen him twice! They like to hide

He now has a tank of his own at my friend's house... It took us about an hour to get him out of the piece of rock he was in... We were not only afraid of him attacking but we didn't want to hurt him either.

Lilxxwojo1 said:
He now has a tank of his own at my friend's house... It took us about an hour to get him out of the piece of rock he was in... We were not only afraid of him attacking but we didn't want to hurt him either.

Cool on both counts,....in my business we encounter them every now and then,.. They are very formidable critters if approached without a game plan,...very nice to see that he's got a new home.

Iv never had a salt water aquarium but im always facinated by the free gifts you get with your live rock, the only free gift you get for fresh water is normally ich lol. But i must say that if i had a marine tank and i found i had one of these mantis shrimps in it, i would never go near the tank again. They can crack shells with thier strikes, surely they could fracture a human finger bone if you got a bit to close to it during some maintance, tottally crazy critter lol

phatpaul said:
Iv never had a salt water aquarium but im always facinated by the free gifts you get with your live rock, the only free gift you get for fresh water is normally ich lol. But i must say that if i had a marine tank and i found i had one of these mantis shrimps in it, i would never go near the tank again. They can crack shells with thier strikes, surely they could fracture a human finger bone if you got a bit to close to it during some maintance, tottally crazy critter lol

Lol in saltwater half of the hitchhikers are very bad! Haha ich, apista, types of worms, sometimes bad crabs, etc

Edit: lol sorry

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Lol in saltwater half of the hitchhikers are very bad! Haha ich, apista, types of worms, sometimes bad crabs, etc

Not sure what te thing in your tank is man, but it doesnt look like am eel at all. They woul have more controll over their boby movements IMO. Looks like a gross worm

I think u posted yor comment in the wrong thread. about the eel

Flreefer said:
I watched a program last night on Nat Geo that was all about Mantis. They were studying the speed and force of its strike. It creates a cavitation in the water, that makes a sonic bubble at the point of the strike!! The strike is so powerful and fast that it creates LIGHT!!!! I couldn't believe it. It also creates a burst of heat that they rated similar to the sun, very small and short mind you.
That strike creates a sonic cavitation, heat, and light, it is so strong. It's strike happens in 2 milliseconds and has force upwards of 300 pounds per square inch. Stronger than most sharks!
Have your friend be careful, like Dary said!!
They are an amazing creature.
Ohh and these were National Geographic funded scientists, not a couple bumpkins.

I was watching this too, "Killer Shrimp". Very crazy the power they have been only an ounce. The scientist said she has been hit by one, it felt like a bad bee sting and left a welt.

They had an article in aquarium fish international called aquarium pests turned pets and these guys were in it. They are really cool. According to the article they can see over 100,000 different colors to our 10,000 including UV and polarized light, can see depth with one eye, and can tunnel through rock with their claws. If I ever get into saltwater I will definitely be setting up a tank for one of these guys. :)

Back
Top Bottom