Strange Eye Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanJee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi

I am having some strange eye loss problem with my fish. First it happed to my neon tetra. Around eye there was some white fungus type stuff and later on other fish tried to eat it and in this process my neon tetra lost complete eye. Tetra is healthy again with on eye now.

After few months same thing happened to my platy. Now my platy is healthy with one eye. Today I have noticed that one of my zebra fish is also with one eye. This time I never saw any fungus or any other fish hitting my zebra. Surprisingly this zebra is healthy and doing well.

Any idea whats going on with my fish ?

First thing I would suspect is water parameters? What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? A large amount of eye problems are caused by water conditions. Which tank is this occuring in? What are the tankmates of that tank?

Hi Zagz

3 months ago I had high nitrate problem. But since 2 months all parameters are fine. Regular PWC every weekend. Its occurring in my 26G you can see the picture and setup details in my signatures. Now its more heavily planted as seen in the picture. Tank mates are neon tetra, platy, guppy, molly, loach, cory, otto, succer fish small (not pleco)

Neon tetra eye loss may cause because of high nitrate 3 months ago, but for platy, and zebra (since 1 month in the tank) I really did not get it.

OK good enough for parameters. The zebra and platy, did you notice any fungus, whiteness, redness or anything or just suddenly you saw no eye? Is there anything on the tank you could suspect them injuring an eye on?

For platy yes it started with white fungus on the eye then other fish started hitting and few days later the eye was gone and now the platy is again healthy with one eye but for zebra there was no sign of any fungus/redness/whiteness.

almost 1 month ago it happened to my platy. All I have changed is that I shifted 1.5 week ago platy fry from 26G to my small aquarium and from small aquarium I shifted blue betta to my 26G.

Thats the only change I have made in last 1.5 week. Platy problem occurred before this. Zebra eye loss I found it out before this post.

Back
Top Bottom