Strange fatalities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesfoad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just started cycling my tank 5 days ago with 2 zebra danios(petco) and I did everything right and yet a day or two later on died. I did a water change to remove some excess waste just to make sure that's not what harmed her. The day after I got 2 more danios(petco) floated them for 15 and netted them so I didn't get any diseased water. I have my heater at 75, a waterfall filter, a small airstone, I washed all substrate and decorations before, good feeding times, good ph, everything good besides the fish health. Please help I'm new to the hobby and I want to keep pursuing itImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388725603.866659.jpg

What are your water parameters, if you have a means of testing them, if not i would (as well as most other people) highly recommend getting a good liquid test kit.

If all your stock is dead i would further recommend doing a fishless cycle moving forward.

Have you tested the water at all? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. The most likely culprit is a spike in ammonia. I can't think of anything that would kill 4 fish in such a short time span other than too high of levels of ammonia/nitrites/ or nitrates. I suppose it is possible all the fish were sick but that seems rather unlikely just based on the odds of probability.

I had the water tested at the store and they said everything was perfect just a tad lie on the ph

Would I be able to do a fish less cycle if I take the last one out since there should be enough ammonia in there already?

They would say that James, you're best to test it yourself and make your own judgement i say.

Part of the fishless cycle is regularly dosing the tank with pure ammonia, it can't just be done with what's there i'm afraid, it's less work than a fish in cycle and means no more dead fishes :)

Fishless cycling is always better rather than going through fish. Its a bit more difficult though. I cycled my tank with 4 pepper corys. I have had all four for 2 years now and they even made 1 new offspring.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Should I restart from new water and filter cartridge. I do still have one healthy fish left that I had from the beginning

Fishless cycling cannot be done with fish, you could take it back? or do a fish-in cycle.

I disagree with xsryman in saying fishless is abit more difficult, there are no water changes to do, no risk of killing fish etc, all you need to do is dose tank and test water basically, this is a good article on fishless cycling, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html as is Fishkeeping - Fishless Tank Cycling and Avoiding New Tank Syndrome - General Guides - Articles

Restarting the tank is unlikely to do any good in fairness.

Maybe its not more difficult but I had a hard time when i tried it. I have only tried it once though. Good luck and post your progess.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom