Strange Ghost Shrimp remains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Epicenter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a Ghost Shrimp go unaccounted for in my tank. Bought 5 last week, and found 4 today. As I was adding some plants in I found what was obviously the 'meat' of a shrimp, the size/shape you'd find in a cup of instant ramen. Pink and white, no shell or obvious organs/eyes/other distinguishing features. It was obviously from the Ghost Shrimp. What's odd, though, is how it changed color like that. I wondered where its exoskeleton went; I found it separate on the other end of the tank in a few large pieces. This isn't the first time I've seen this happen, I spotted 2 shrimp like this in an old tank of mine which was occupied only by guppies and a docile algae-eater.

What do you suppose happened? Thanks for any info.

The shrimp most likely molted and either the stress killed it or someone decided to give it a nibble while it was nice and soft.
I always wondered why shrimp turn pink when you cook them and found out that the pink color is always there, but its "hidden" by the proteins that make them look gray. Once they are heated the proteins that cause the gray color break down, revealing the pink - so basically, the warmth of the tank water turned him pink after death

Back
Top Bottom