Strange honey gourami behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fogodechao

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to share this experience or see if anyone else had this happen to them...

I had a pair of honey gouramis in my community tank a couple of months back. I decided to rehome my male gourami because he would become aggressive towards the other fish after breeding. Anyways my female looked lonely and would just follow her reflection or stay in one spot. She also developed a black line underneath her which is something i though only male honey gouramis do.

So i decided to add another female honey gourami to the tank. My old female quickly became social and somewhat her old usual self again, but it looks like she is trying to mate with the new female? She will tilt to display her colors like male honey gouramis would do in order to get a female's attention and (if you know what honey gourami mating looks like) she would swim very close to the new female and try to mate.

I just thought this behavior was really strange. It's only been a day so maybe i'm just imagining things. If anyone else had this happen to them let me know!!

Not with gourami, but I have 2 female angel fish in a tank with other fish. No male angels. They lay eggs every few weeks, 1 or the other, then chase everyone away (typical cichlid behavior) and become really aggressive. But not to each other. They both guard the eggs and chase away other fish. They act like a breeding pair. It's really odd how they have paired up, especially on the unfertilized eggs.

The other day, one was laying them on a vertical slate, and the other was coming right behind and picking them off one at a time as a snack. Didn't seem to bother the one laying at all. Maybe fish get gender confused at times

Wow that's weird... Yea i guess maybe they do get gender confused. Glad I'm not the only one!

No I've never been to Texas. I live in Utah now, but i've been to Fogo De Chao back when I use to live in Philadelphia/Chicago. I like it better than Chima if you've ever been there.

Back
Top Bottom